Can I make my own face in a matrix

everettdale

Apprentice elf
I haven't really looked too deeply into how this is done, but I see that you can put a singing face on a matrix. All I see are pre-made faces to download. Is there a way to create my own?

And a second question. I can have 2 different "characters" singing at different time on the same matrix right. Like have a Frankenstein face sing one verse, then Dracula sing the next?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
1. Yep absolutely. You just need the appropriate image files; one for each of the phonemes; and create a new face definition.
2. Easiest to do that would be to submodel the matrix into two I believe.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I have a couple of songs where I have multiple faces all singing on the matrix at the same time.
Each face has it's own lyric/phoneme track and each face is assigned an area on the layer settings>buffer. Each face that is singing at the same time also needs a layer on the matrix.
Depending on whether you have 1 face singing, 2 or more than 2 you can have them full screen and alternating or part of a screen for each.
1716801864855.png1716801532494.png

everettdale

Apprentice elf
I'm not sure where to go with this question now. I went into the Layout section and created a Matrix model and figured out how to set the parameters to get a 25X25 matrix with a single string of pixels. When I go into the Sequencer and drop an effect on to the Matrix it behaves as I would expect. So that's all working.

So when I drop the Faces effect onto the Matrix I get the "default" face. because I haven't added an image into the "Faces" section in the Matrix layout. When I do Add an image into the "faces" section I can download a face or I can load my own images for each mouth shape. This all makes sense so far.

What I cant figure out is how to make the images I want to load into the mouth shapes and get them to look right. I want them to be basically like the line drawings that the "default" are, but of my own designs.

in the regular Face Model (not on a matrix) you do this with a grid that looks like a spreadsheet. What am I missing?

merryoncherry

Senior elf
If you have the mechanics down but it's a quality issue, maybe start with an image that is close to what you want, or at least has the eyes and mouth in the right spots. Then do the eyes and multiple mouths as layers on top of that (using photoshop or gimp or something that supports layers), and then exporting images of just the layers you want.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
What MOC said. xLights does not let you edit the image files directly. You need to produce the independently and then load them in as appropriate.
In essence you need to create 20 image files one for each of the 10 phonemes with eyes open, and again with the eyes closed.

Alternatively, you _can_ do it similar to a custom prop - by changing the definition type from "Matrix" to "Node Ranges" and explicitly defining the pixel numbers, but that wont be portable between the halves of the matrix or across different matrix sizes.

everettdale

Apprentice elf
What MOC said. xLights does not let you edit the image files directly. You need to produce the independently and then load them in as appropriate.
In essence you need to create 20 image files one for each of the 10 phonemes with eyes open, and again with the eyes closed.

Alternatively, you _can_ do it similar to a custom prop - by changing the definition type from "Matrix" to "Node Ranges" and explicitly defining the pixel numbers, but that wont be portable between the halves of the matrix or across different matrix sizes.
I think the Node Ranges thing is what I want to do. I'll mess around with that and see.