Can't connect to Falcon V4. Does not show IP Address

peterbrown123

New elf
HI I am new to Christmas lights and I am trying to connect to my Falcon Controller but I can't seem to get an IP address on the LAN to connect and configure the controller. I am using a Ethernet Adaptor and and have a network Switch. I am using Windows 10. Hope someone can help. Regards Peter

i13

Dedicated elf
Hi peterbrown123

Assuming that you've successfully powered the Falcon, I think what you need to do is give the computer a static IPv4 Ethernet address which is identical to the IP address on the Falcon's screen except for the number after the last dot which should be different. The numbers between each dot should be in the range from 0 to 255. The subnet mask can be set to 255.255.255.0 on both the computer and the Falcon. I have not used a USB Ethernet adapter but on my Windows 8.1 computer with an Ethernet port built in, I go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change adapter settings -> Ethernet -> Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) -> Properties (or just double click it) -> Use the following IP address.

Once you've done this, try putting the Falcon's IP address into the URL bar of a web browser on the computer and see whether the interface comes up.

peterbrown123

New elf
Hi i13

Thanks for your help it worked. Should I keep the IP Address Static on the controller.

Regards Peter

Reactions: i13

Iain

Full time elf
Hi Peter,

If it works, keep the static IP address. There's nothing "wrong" with this, it's just an option in your bag of networking tricks.

Your computer may not like having a static IP address though. It depends on how it connects to the internet or other networks.

i13

Dedicated elf
I always use a static IP address on the computer and controller when they are connected to each other. That's just what I do because it works for me. If you want to use the Ethernet port to connect to your home network and internet, I expect that you'll need to change it back to "Obtain an IP address automatically".

I'm not a networking expert; I just know the bare minimum required to get a show running. There are plenty of forum members who know more about networking than I do. I'm sure that one of them will chime in if there is a better way of doing this.

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I have always set my controllers with static IP addresses in the routers config (or your DHCP server if you have a dedicated one), last thing I want is for them to obtain a new address when the lease on the current IP runs out mid show.