CCR Pigtails + Extension

BoonDogs

I am self diagnosed with CLAP
Just wondering if anybody has had any luck attaching 4 conductor waterproof pigtails to the controllers and ribbons?
Also, what's the maximum length you can extend the cable by, before you encounter problems?

Cheers,
Riley

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I assume that what you are talking about is connecting directly the the strip. This isn't that hard to do. You have to make sure that the terminals on the strip are cleaned up nicely. A good quality solder will make it easier as well. The distance that you can run extension cables for is dependant on the cable size. Using security cable will barely allow you to extend any distance. Using the cable as used in 240V extension leads (0.75mm2) will allow a reasonable distance. The further you want to go and the more pixels that are connected will require heavier and heavier cable.

i13

Dedicated elf
The Cosmic Colour Ribbons from Light-O-Rama are actually LPD6803 pixel strips.

I have successfully soldered the pigtails directly to WS2811 and WS2812B pixel strips waterproofed with silicone tubing.

Never seen a CCR but being 12V strips, they're probably going to be quite tolerant about you extending the power cable if you make it thick enough. Data will have issues if you make the cables for it too long and using thicker cable isnt neccessarily going to help data.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I had successfully added an extra 2 metres to each cable a few years back when using the CCRs

dannyp

Full time elf
I have extended the CCR cables by 3mtres without problems using power extension cords