cheap enclosures?

TommyCBurger

New elf
My controller is in a Cablegaurd 1500 located in my gaurage, it looks clean and is protected from weather. I see lots of people that need differential controllers or power injection and use simple $7 plastic toolboxes. what's the best ways to keep snow/ice/rain out of these? A foot or two of snow is not uncommon where I'm at. I assume there are clamps / connectors that allow me to drill a 1/2 - 1" hole in these boxes but still keep snow/rain out.

thanks! any Links / url's or pictures appreciate!

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
Ammo case (being in the USA, shouldn’t have difficulty finding these cheap) and cable glands sized appropriately for your cable.

apart from elevating the case, that’s about as good as it gets.

BazzaV

New elf
I have two of the below in my setup currently with cable glands on the side. Big enough to house a power supply, Falcon smart receiver and a power distro board. Clam vent each end and a 5v fan inside to help with heat extraction. So far so good with no water inside.

TommyCBurger

New elf
what you are looking for is called a cable gland. these will let you pass cables through but maintain a seal.
Cable Gland! Yep that is what I was looking for, thanks all! The ammo box is a good suggestion too, I found a few toolbox with a rubber gasket that should work well and hold everything.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Hello,

I'm located in the midwest, this is my first year with lights and snow was one of my biggest concerns. To prevent this the MTM ammo case was used which is bigger then the ammo can and smaller toolboxes. My goal was to have enough space without being too cramped due to not using vents. My setup is as follows:

2 - Meanwell RPS-500-12 (Only one is powered up at a time)
1 - 12-Way waterproof fuse block
1 - Netgear 8-port gig switch (Runs off 12v, the smaller 5 port is on 5v)
1 - Falcon F16v4

Cable Glands: There are different sizes which you will find out when looking for them.
16 - Pigtails (PG7) Unused pigtails were capped.
1 - Power (PG9)
1 - Network connection (Technically not a cable gland but works the same way)

There are NO vents on my box due to possible snow intrusion. It's currently 30 degrees outside with clear sky and the internal temp of the processors on the falcon go between 62 - 68 degrees. This is the morning time and there are no sequences running off of it, I'll try to remember to grab temps tonight while the show is running.

All my cable glands came from Wired Watts, honestly, a lot of my lighting materials came from there. They are very quick with getting the order out the door and shipping is very reasonable. I use the cheapest shipping and it tends to get here in 2 days even when it is a 3 day shipping estimate. heck, I ordered last Sunday, it was shipped on Monday and I had it by Wednesday.

ControllerTreebase.jpg

Dean