Cheap pixel strip arch diffusion material

Uskompuf

New elf

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi Uskompuf. I think the flexible corrugated will not be rigid enough to hold its shape, especially left out in the Aussie sun during the day - the weight of the strip inside could make it collapse. That's one of the reasons most used the air seeder hose.
Again I'm not sure of rigidness of aquarium tubing too - I'd suggest again it's quite soft once heated.
if you don't need a full 30m roll of l/hdpe, you could always go halves with another member nearby? Can't view profile to see where you are located...

Uskompuf

New elf
Hi Uskompuf. I think the flexible corrugated will not be rigid enough to hold its shape, especially left out in the Aussie sun during the day - the weight of the strip inside could make it collapse. That's one of the reasons most used the air seeder hose.
Again I'm not sure of rigidness of aquarium tubing too - I'd suggest again it's quite soft once heated.
if you don't need a full 30m roll of l/hdpe, you could always go halves with another member nearby? Can't view profile to see where you are located...
Forgot to mention they are upside down hanging arches so holding its shape will be OK but what diffusion method would you recommend.

Last edited:

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Ive never used that spray before so not sure who it will work.
In my experience you get more diffusion bu having the LEDs further away from the front/top material you are viewing it from. You can use 3 or 5mm corflute or corrugated plastic sheet cut into strips, then ziptie to the pixel strip. You will still see the individual LEDs but they won't be as direct or "harsh". Sitting in the airseeder tube, again you can still see the LEDs but as the strip faces upwards, when viewing from the street/side, its much less direct at the whole tube has a certain glow to it. It all really depends on what the desired effect is you are after. Do some experiments and see for yourself to try and acheive what you have in mind - a lot of this hobby can be trial and error to get desired results - that's half the fun!

scamper

Dedicated elf
I tried some of the coil type hose in the past and abandonded the idea, only because it was such a hassle feeding the strips through and it needed more work to get the shape, the clear hose can be expensive as you need a large diameter. but it is all about experimenting and seeing what you are happy with. In the end, I just attached coro to the strips and cable tied it on for diffusion. I am keeping an eye open for air seeder pipe as I will eventually go down that path.
In the photo, the arch's on the roof and the star on the mega tree are both just strips with around 20mm of coro cable tied to them. They would be ok on the ground without it, but up so high you would not see the strip, but with coro you get a glow so you can see it.

Attachments

• house sm.jpg
    house sm.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 33

marmalade

cats & pixels
i bought some of that corrugated tubing from aliexpress, very fragile and kinks easily.
I've just received some samples of opaque hula hoop tubing from prettystickycircus.com.au. It may be good for arches, but quite difficult to bend tightly without a fair bit of heat. Would make great tube for strip icicles or anywhere that needs something that holds it's shape.