Check my matrix wiring

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
I have a matrix which will be running off 2 ports of my falcon f16 controller. I have set it up fine in xlights with 2 seperate strings. While pushing pixels, do I just stop at the end of the first string and cut the wire and then just start the 2nd string? I assume there is no need to connect negatives or the like?

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Wait, cut the wire of the first string? Being very new to this and hating the idea of cutting something new I've been trying to optimize my runs to as close to string length as possible. Just curious as to the string length and size of the matrix? I like asking dumb questions. I also like to understand why others do things to get a better perspective of how something could be done in case I never thought of it.

Reactions: Dez

Dez

Wait, cut the wire of the first string? Being very new to this and hating the idea of cutting something new I've been trying to optimize my runs to as close to string length as possible. Just curious as to the string length and size of the matrix? I like asking dumb questions. I also like to understand why others do things to get a better perspective of how something could be done in case I never thought of it.
My matrix has 900 pixels approx which is way too many for the falcon f16v3 to handle at 40fps which is why we have to split into multiple strings. I have a roll of 500 pixels and my first string is 450 so I have to cut the last 50 off. These can be used elsewhere so they are not wasted

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
You said string and I am thinking 50 - 100. LOL, being new I think in 50s or 100s. That roll of 500 sounds very nice. It makes a lot more sense to me now.

How do you plan to do power injection in the 450 lights?

Thanks

Dez

I’m just running a single wire and solder onto each power injection point

TerryK

Retired Elf
That's all right; no problem. A few previous threads have highlighted some confusion of cables, conductors, strands, and wire. Felt you meant cable but wasn't quite sure.