Check sequence errors

Gerald

New elf
Hi
I have created a group of all my models called "all models" which appear in the preview window as normal , however when checking via the tools tab it is reporting multiple errors with these props being in the unassigned preview
If I try to re assign this group to the all models , it is not available to select from the drop down arrow?
Where am I going wrong?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-31 231911.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-31 231911.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot 2023-07-31 231818.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-31 231818.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot 2023-07-31 check sequence.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-31 check sequence.png
    528.2 KB · Views: 11

merryoncherry

Senior elf
What are you trying to accomplish with the previews? (Honestly, never used that feature / saw the need... seems 3D covers a lot of the use cases previews were supposed to support.)

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
I use previews to separate my Halloween show from my Christmas show. The models I use specifically for Halloween have the preview "Halloween" and the "Christmas" preview for Christmas models. Other models and groups that are shared for both shows are assigned to "All Previews".
Now when it comes to the group "Whole House" or "Everything" then I have a "Whole House Christmas" and a "Whole House Halloween" and when I chose the layout preview only the models and groups from the selected preview appear in models/groups list. (This may be your issue ??)
This helps me because when I'm wiring everything in and I need to make changes in xlights to reflect what I've done on the house I only need to make the changes for the "All Previews" models once for both shows. Instead of having to remember at Christmas to change show folders and make the changes a second time.
Hope that helps in some way?

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
@BAZMick do you need to have enough controllers for everything at once? Or repurpose one between Halloween and Christmas?
I'm getting to the limit this year where if I were to add more props next year I think I won't have enough ports on the existing controllers.
At present all my Christmas stuff are on ports (2x F16v3) 1-8 and Halloween on 9-16 and then the lights for both shows are on an F48.
I have a large frontage separated by a set of steps in the middle so one F16 for the LH side and one for the RH.
If I exceed the capacity in following years then I think I'll get separate controllers for Halloween and Christmas and disable the ones not in use to avoid xlights and show network comms errors

merryoncherry

Senior elf
I have a combined layout and share the controllers. I do this using a python script that deletes all the stuff out of the layout to make it into the Halloween or Christmas version. That script just looks at the groups, not any previews. The only down side is the combined layout doesn't pass "check sequence" because some ports have too many pixels... so I have to check it on the derived layouts.

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
The only down side is the combined layout doesn't pass "check sequence" because some ports have too many pixels
Yep, I had this 2 years ago. For me it was a right pain in the butt trying to sort out that mess, and overlapping channels.
Compartmentalizing everything made it all so much easier to get a grasp of and modify when setting up outside