Controller fuse

stan780953

New elf
Hi,

Should I be installing a fuse between my controller and PSU? There doesn't seem to be a shutdown procedure so I'm worried that killing the power each time is going to cause an issue.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
What controller is it? Most dont have any particular startup/shutdown sequences. FPP based controllers being Linux based _should_ be shut down properly, but the filesystems these days are resilient enough not to need it.

As for fuses - unrelated to the above- that's up to you. The fuse will protect the cable between your PSU and the controller mostly, against overload or a short on those cables. The controller output fuses protect the cables between your controller and the pixels.
Unless if it's a cheap and nasty one, the PSU itself will have over-current protection in it and shut itself off should there be a fault.
However, if you have intentionally under-sized your cables, such as using 15A rated cable on a 30A PSU, then it's best to put in a 15A fuse in this scenario so any overload on the controller (Such as putting 8x 3A loads totalling 24A) doesnt melt the cable between the PSU and controller.

stan780953

New elf
@Skymaster Thank you for your reply. I'm using a Falcon F16, PixLite 4, Meanwell RSP-320 PSU's and FFP. By the sounds of it I should be fine but as this is all new to me I wanted to be on the safe side.