Controller, winter and cold temperatures ...

Rainer Pfister

New elf
Hi to all,

this is my first Christmas time with my newly built mega tree. I am a bit worried leaving the controller (HolidayCoro built with a HinksPix Pro, fully equipped with Smart Long Range Controller and other stuff) outside for months with cold temperatures, rain and / or snow. Have you any experiences? Do you remove the controller case after every show?

Thanks for your highly appreciated feedback in advance. I am looking forward to receiving your experiences :)

All the best,

Rainer

merryoncherry

Senior elf
My HPs and long ranges stayed out through New England winter cold and snow, no problems.

Do be sure, however, that the cable holes are down, and any unused pigtails are properly capped. The plastic wrap from the factory won't cut it.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
I used an MTM ammo box to house my controller for my show last year, outside of Chicago, and left it out for three weeks without an issue. There are no vents and all my ports were used so no worries about having to cap things off. If I have unused ports in the future I will be sure to cap them. I did make sure to cap the ends of my props and did not leave them open to the weather. Oh, I left it on the ground last year as it was my first ever show and I did not know any better.

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and I put all my controller boxes out on December 1st and with a little luck bring them in around mid January.
There have been times I had to leave everything out until March, depends on the snow and ice.
Never an issue, just make sure to cap any unused pigtails and cable tie your enclosures (if using CG cases).
Been doing shows since 2012.