Could xLights have a printable setup section added?

Giles1

Giles
Generous elf
It’s the first of December, and as usual I am scrambling to get my show up and running for tonight. Currently, it’s not looking good. ☹
The constant rain we’re now having isn’t helping, especially as I still have some props and my Controller to mount on my roof, as well as a lot of the cabling to finish off.

This leads me to my post. My show is reasonably large (especially for a small front yard), and there are a number of Controllers and remote units involved (36 ports in all), and a year is a long time to remember how everything is connected, and in what order.

In past years I would have a spread sheet printed out with all of the details on it, but this year I haven’t had a chance to fully update it yet, as it is a lot of work. So, this time I just screen shotted the Visualizer, as a guide. However, this method leaves a lot to be desired!

So, I was just wondering, this can’t be an issue that only I encounter. I think it would be great if xLights could have a printable setup section. This print could have a copy of your set-up photo at the top, to show you’re lights locations, and having a name tag shown for each light/Prop would also be very helpful. Then below, a list of all the ports (broken up in to separate controller and remote groups), and what is connected to them, and in what order.
Maybe it could also include the power requirement for each port, as a prompt, to let you know if any power injection is needed. One last think, if you could also have a notes section for each port, this would allow you to record some relevant setup information, which I’m sure would prove to be very useful. 😊

Thanks in advance for what I’m sure will be a great tool.

darylc

404 darylc not found
did you try clicking tools, export controller connections?

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
I use this when setting up and it's a very handy feature:

1669933112968.png

Giles1

Giles
Generous elf
That looks useful. Where does it come from?
However, I still think if xLights had a built-in tool to do this, it would be a great enhancement to the system. :)

Dreamin

Full time elf
I click on the visualiser and right click print, then print to PDF in landscape. I just print the pages I need (I don't print the DMX ones)

Col The Hammer

New elf
That looks useful. Where does it come from?
However, I still think if xLights had a built-in tool to do this, it would be a great enhancement to the system. :)
From the xLights menu... select TOOLS --> EXPORT CONTROLLER CONNECTIONS. Then select save (or change file name as required), choose the items you wish to list and select OK. Open the spreadsheet and you're good to go.