Countdown timer for New Years

smeighan

Dedicated elf
Don Julien posted this

"It looks like wxWidgets (the framework that xLights uses) is very picky about the input format. The documentation says "This function tries as hard as it can to interpret the given string as date and time.". Well, it's not trying hard enough.

It looks like RFC822 format works, so as a work-around for now you can enter the date/time using the following format:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 00:48:30 +0100

(see section 5 of http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc822/ for all the painful details)

There might be variations of this that also work.

Note: output format in xLights is "#d #h #m #s", so you'll need a fairly wide grid to display that unless it's scrolling sideways.

don"

the date time should be set to "It looks like wxWidgets (the framework that xLights uses) is very picky about the input format. The documentation says "This function tries as hard as it can to interpret the given string as date and time.". Well, it's not trying hard enough.

It looks like RFC822 format works, so as a work-around for now you can enter the date/time using the following format:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 00:48:30 +0100

(see section 5 of http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc822/ for all the painful details)

There might be variations of this that also work.

Note: output format in xLights is "#d #h #m #s", so you'll need a fairly wide grid to display that unless it's scrolling sideways.

don"

The date should be set to the future and you will then get a countdown.

This is what i am using for new years

"Wed, 01 Jan 2014 00:00:00 +0100"

Matt is the person who added the countdown timer and Don looked into the code. Thansk to both of them

sean

toozie21

New elf
Hello. I was wondering if anyone made more progress with the countdown, I am pretty interested in it but can't find a whole lot of people talking about it online.

smeighan

Dedicated elf
toozie21 said:
Hello. I was wondering if anyone made more progress with the countdown, I am pretty interested in it but can't find a whole lot of people talking about it online.

yep , it works fine and in the next release (which is finished) there are more options for displaying it

DDD HH MM SS
DDD HH
MMMM
SSSSS

don julien did the work. we are upgrading from wxwidgets 2.9.5 to 3.0.0. A new version comes out every 2 years. New version came out this last november., maybe later this week i will release next version.

thanks

toozie21

New elf
smeighan said:
yep , it works fine and in the next release (which is finished) there are more options for displaying it

DDD HH MM SS
DDD HH
MMMM
SSSSS

don julien did the work. we are upgrading from wxwidgets 2.9.5 to 3.0.0. A new version comes out every 2 years. New version came out this last november., maybe later this week i will release next version.

thanks

Awesome, music to my ears! Thanks!!!!