Custom Prop Modelling Question

jules_beck

New elf
Hi everyone....so this is where it all started for me and my interest in blinky lights 😂....I first came across a video on YouTube from Sleigher Bobs Holiday Lights channel and was amazed!

I am starting off this year with a couple of mega trees, some arches, basic outlines and a few coro props. No dedicated sequencing or use of an FM transmitter etc yet - just starting very basic for my first year.

However, in the years to come I want to make some props similar to the ones that Sleigher Bob made. Custom props for singing snow(people), an elf on drums, Santa on guitar etc....

What is involved in making such props work in xLights for custom models etc? I'd guess that these would be similar functionalities for props like singing trees etc....so what do I need to start researching? i.e. file types/models/wiring diagrams etc...?

Any info would be greatly appreciated please.

I have attached a link to one of the YouTube videos for an example of the props.

View:
View: https://youtu.be/-TSKcNlX7_o

Thanks in advance.

mountndew1

New elf
I started with DrZz's on youtube. He has a down-to-earth way of teaching the absolute basics. But don't stop there just do a youtube search for Xlights and LED's that should get you going. You are here just start poking around. I'm new also and there are so many different ways to start. I just wanted to start the absolute cheapest way to see if it is something I really want to do. I bought a cheap esp8266 controller loaded WLED on it put xlights on my computer. Purchased 4 strings of ws2811 lights 5v a 5amp power supply, had a few jumper wires, spent less than 100 bucks. :jawdrop:) That was the goal when I first started searching. I saw a display last year put a couple of dollars in his donation box and wrote on a napkin my name and number asking if he minded calling me I had some questions about his light show I am interested in doing something like it.
He called me and he told me to come take a look around and he would give me the gist of it. I did and he had lots of money tied up in his system. I put it on the back burner. Then we went to see it again this past yr 2021 and boom I was going to do some research to see if there was a cheapie way to just see if I would want to do this stuff. So there you have it. One singing lightbulb is what I am building and There is a guy on youtube that will show you step by step how to do the whole thing from start to finish.
I wouldn't recommend doing it the cheap way, as it always takes a bit more learning curve I think but hey I like learning and if I can do it this way and can't really wrap my head around doing a lot of it what the heck. A really expensive meal is all it will cost me. lol
So far I am having fun. I don't have to have a lot of electronics know-how. I know how to operate computers and routers enough and really everything you need to know is on youtube or forums like this and most will help you out willingly.
I would post the links in here but I haven't been on here long enough to even know there rules about that so I don't want to get booted out of here. They have to much to offer me to loose this resource. :jawdrop:)
Hope this helps you find your way. And when you do, maybe you will become another asset to the light show community. I hope to.
Good luck.

jules_beck

New elf
I started with DrZz's on youtube. He has a down-to-earth way of teaching the absolute basics. But don't stop there just do a youtube search for Xlights and LED's that should get you going. You are here just start poking around. I'm new also and there are so many different ways to start. I just wanted to start the absolute cheapest way to see if it is something I really want to do. I bought a cheap esp8266 controller loaded WLED on it put xlights on my computer. Purchased 4 strings of ws2811 lights 5v a 5amp power supply, had a few jumper wires, spent less than 100 bucks. :jawdrop:) That was the goal when I first started searching. I saw a display last year put a couple of dollars in his donation box and wrote on a napkin my name and number asking if he minded calling me I had some questions about his light show I am interested in doing something like it.
He called me and he told me to come take a look around and he would give me the gist of it. I did and he had lots of money tied up in his system. I put it on the back burner. Then we went to see it again this past yr 2021 and boom I was going to do some research to see if there was a cheapie way to just see if I would want to do this stuff. So there you have it. One singing lightbulb is what I am building and There is a guy on youtube that will show you step by step how to do the whole thing from start to finish.
I wouldn't recommend doing it the cheap way, as it always takes a bit more learning curve I think but hey I like learning and if I can do it this way and can't really wrap my head around doing a lot of it what the heck. A really expensive meal is all it will cost me. lol
So far I am having fun. I don't have to have a lot of electronics know-how. I know how to operate computers and routers enough and really everything you need to know is on youtube or forums like this and most will help you out willingly.
I would post the links in here but I haven't been on here long enough to even know there rules about that so I don't want to get booted out of here. They have to much to offer me to loose this resource. :jawdrop:)
Hope this helps you find your way. And when you do, maybe you will become another asset to the light show community. I hope to.
Good luck.
Thanks a lot for the information and YouTube channel to look at. Much appreciated. Best of luck with your display!