Design Clarification for a Garage matrix

Jarrad33

150k of Pixels for 2023
Hi All

Im going to make up a Garage matrix for this years show and I just want to get some clarification before I start making it.

Specs will be 1" spacing chroma mesh from troy ( 4 sheets cut down horizontally to fit )

Total size will 189 pixels wide and 78 pixels tall (total of 14,742 pixels) I wanted make this prop high density.

I want to make sure this will work as a single matrix or should I split it up to 2 or even 4 matrix panels (If so what size). I have seen a few times where people have split them up but I dont know the reason.

These things arent a problem
1) I have a Kulp 32 or a F16V3 with expansion boards.
2) Power isnt a problem
3) The frame isnt a problem

Thanks Jarrad

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I want to make sure this will work as a single matrix or should I split it up to 2 or even 4 matrix panels (If so what size). I have seen a few times where people have split them up but I dont know the reason.

These things arent a problem

3) The frame isnt a problem
Looking at ELD's croma mesh, it looks like cutting the edging off would weaken it.
Could you overlap the mesh to fit? Overlapping pixels would be pushed through multiple mesh holes.

About the frame;
How you wanting this to work? Is this attaching to your garage door or a separate overlay?
You might be wanting to cut the mesh into sections for a sectional garage door for example.
I know you've said it's not an issue, but this does relate to how your mesh sections are done.

Danielr

Lights On Botanical
Generous elf
How are you planning on mounting it? Tom Betgeorge did a nice garage matrix design and he has a video of how he did it. I’m going to try to do a garage matrix this year. It will be 2 inch spacing (4032 pixels) with chromamesh as well. I will build a rail to hang form the eave and basically the mesh will go on hooks and it will slide across like a curtain...well that’s what I’m hoping. The matrix will be split down the middle so that I can open up either side to get a car in and out or open it all up. It will run off 4 receivers. Two on the left side connected to 7 strings and two on the right side of the garage connected to 7 strings. They will be running off a K32. I look forward to seeing yours in action, with that many pixels it’s going to look incredible.

Jarrad33

150k of Pixels for 2023
Looking at ELD's croma mesh, it looks like cutting the edging off would weaken it.
Could you overlap the mesh to fit? Overlapping pixels would be pushed through multiple mesh holes.

About the frame;
How you wanting this to work? Is this attaching to your garage door or a separate overlay?
You might be wanting to cut the mesh into sections for a sectional garage door for example.
I know you've said it's not an issue, but this does relate to how your mesh sections are done.

Hey Mark

I was going to over lap the lower section so all the weight will be at the top and over lap by 2 layers of pixels which should hold ok.

Im going to make a fold-able frame as I dont want it on the garage door. Well it cant be on a garage door as im going to cover the single garage and half of of the right side of the double (so the wife can get in and out without having to move anything.

Capture.JPG

Jarrad33

150k of Pixels for 2023
How are you planning on mounting it? Tom Betgeorge did a nice garage matrix design and he has a video of how he did it. I’m going to try to do a garage matrix this year. It will be 2 inch spacing (4032 pixels) with chromamesh as well. I will build a rail to hang form the eave and basically the mesh will go on hooks and it will slide across like a curtain...well that’s what I’m hoping. The matrix will be split down the middle so that I can open up either side to get a car in and out or open it all up. It will run off 4 receivers. Two on the left side connected to 7 strings and two on the right side of the garage connected to 7 strings. They will be running off a K32. I look forward to seeing yours in action, with that many pixels it’s going to look incredible.

Yeah I looked as toms but it was not going to work for my house. I need it to the right more due to trees.

I might drop mine back to 188 x 78 so I can make two even Matrix panels off 94 x 39

byhova

New elf
@Danielr

Do you happen to know what Tom's video is called because I looked on youtube under his videos and I did not see anything about the garage matrix design. If you happen to know what it is could you please link that to me.

Danielr

Lights On Botanical
Generous elf
@Danielr

Do you happen to know what Tom's video is called because I looked on youtube under his videos and I did not see anything about the garage matrix design. If you happen to know what it is could you please link that to me.
It was posted on the Official Lights Support Group. If you go there, then search Tom Betgeorge garage matrix and there will be two posts with videos in October 2019.

byhova

New elf
It was posted on the Official Lights Support Group. If you go there, then search Tom Betgeorge garage matrix and there will be two posts with videos in October 2019.
Thanks for the info, i don't have Facebook but my wife does and it was a group she had already joined so I just called her and told her what to type in. She found it so now I can look at it when I get home. Thanks!

Last edited: