DHCP

Pral

New elf
Hi,
I use a pixlite 4mkll to run my show with a pi4 running fpp. The controller is connected directly at the pi by ethernet. My show run good but after a moment the leds on thé contrôler are flashing (meaning lost dhcp) and thé show is stopping. How can i fix it?

Pral

New elf
Thanks for your reply.
Thé thing i dont understand is if my pi is not connected to Any net work, i juste have my pi and my pixlite. How can i set up a statif adress?

franky_888

Full time elf
You're going to need to connect it to your network (at least temporarily) so you can manage it. Once it's setup you can disconnect it from your home network, but you still need some kind of link into the FPP so that you can upload new sequences/manage schedules etc.

I was midway through typing out a how-to, but realised I don't really know your technical ability, so I don't want to lead you down a path that might get you stuck with no way back.

a) you will need to set a static address on the Pixlite using the Avatek Assistant
b) you can set a static address on the FPP using the http://fpp web interface of the pi. I would recommend you connect some form of wifi interface of the pi to your home network so you can still see and manage your pi/pixlite with xlights. If your pi doesn't have wifi on-board you can buy a compatible wifi dongle to connect to it.

If you need your hand-held so to speak to set this up, you might be best to jump into the zoom room to see if someone can help walk you through the process. https://xlights.org/ and click on 'Zoom Meeting' (blue button on the right)

Pral

New elf
Thanks a lot for your Help !
My pi is on 192.168.1.XX on wifi, and on 169.254.18.x when connected on ethernet.
So waht type of static adress should i set in pixlite assistant? 192 or 169?? Knowing that thé pi is on my garden ( so just connect by wifi)

richardd

Full time elf
If you see a 169.254. x.x address, it means that the DHCP server is not reachable. 169.254.x.x is an internal assigned dhcp address when you can't reach DHCP.

You should always go static for you controllers, download the pixlite assistant and assign a static to your controller. I would also recommend you have your show on a different range than your home network. Especially as your show grows in channels. You can pick up a wireless route for next to nothing these days.

If you pi is on 192.168.2.x you controller should also be on 192.168.2.x

Pral

New elf
Thank you. I’ve try to do that. But in order to see the contrôler in advatek assistant i have to connect thé contrôler on my home net work by éther net, witch is a 169.254.xxx.XX range. So if y try to put à static adress in 192.168. Xxx.XX range, advatek assistant tell me that its not possible!

ICon

New elf
I run all my lights using static addresses, but with dhcp it may be possible to decrease the problems by increasing the lease time of the addresses. Most dhcp servers/routers are set to a short lease of a day or less, it can be made 5 days, or longer.

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
I was midway through typing out a how-to, but realised I don't really know your technical ability, so I don't want to lead you down a path that might get you stuck with no way back.
I was just doing the same thing when I went back through and read your post.

Pral, I recommend you jump into the xlights zoom room or ACL chat and see if someone can walk you through static IP addressing via zoom.
I don't have reliable internet for zoom meetings so I'm sorry I can't help you in that way.

Pral

New elf
Hi,
Think I would be able to do. If my pi is 192.168.1.xx I think I could assigned an static ip on my controller on this range.
I’ll try it! But I’m wondering about xlights configuration. All my sequences has been made with a multicast configuration in xlights. If I get a static adress, Will it be a problem?