Display issue

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
calonestar said:
Well, I did do all the things recomended by Fasteddy, all the way to reinstall. I don't have any problems with an animation sequence. I made a test sequence and everything is in time for that into the visualiser. For some reason, in the musical sequence, the controllers are flashing out of sync and that is being displayed in the visualizer. So, my problem isn't with the visualizer. It's why aren't the controllers turning on and off at the correct timing marks? It's like they lag the song marker then skip and flash eratically to try and catch back up with the marker. I have the song at 128/16/44100 after running it through audacity. I am going to tray a differnt song while I wait on any ideas you may have. Will Report.

This is now sounding like either a codec issue on your computer or a an issue with the MP3. When you run it through audacity are you then exporting the song as an MP3 with the lame download addon.

AussieDoug

Full time elf
I have found that outputting through the sequencer causes lag issues, but when you run it in the scheduler everything is perfect. I imagine this could be just scheduler lag.

calonestar

New elf
Yes, I used the lame addon and saved as a MP3 per spec.

I just tried another song. I wasn't trying to match a channel to a beat this time. I just turned on each channel for for 5 seconds each, in order, 1 through 8. When I played the song, the channels were turning on and off exactly 1 second ahead of what I programmed. So, I saved the sequence, closed LSP reopened LSP and the sequence. When I played it this time the channels were in sync with the song marker and turned on where I programmed. I tried the other song but it is still out of sync. What the heck is going on?

arw01

Full time elf
I wondering if his network switch is causing some issues. are you wireless transmitting or with a cable? I had to run a physical cable to my shop to solve a similar issue.

In my shop I had the computer within 5' of an enterprise level wifi access point going into a 1 gig switch using a 500mps power cable internet coupler to the house.

Well once I got rid of the power line coupler and ran a physical cable out there, my "weirdness" went away.

arw01

Full time elf
calonestar said:
Yes, I used the lame addon and saved as a MP3 per spec.

I just tried another song. I wasn't trying to match a channel to a beat this time. I just turned on each channel for for 5 seconds each, in order, 1 through 8. When I played the song, the channels were turning on and off exactly 1 second ahead of what I programmed. So, I saved the sequence, closed LSP reopened LSP and the sequence. When I played it this time the channels were in sync with the song marker and turned on where I programmed. I tried the other song but it is still out of sync. What the heck is going on?

can you post the song and the sequence someplace and a couple of us can see if it's just you or ...

dale82

Senior elf
Have you tried the Scheduler? this run smoothly, I try and not output thru the sequencer as it can lag a bit

calonestar

New elf
I think we're getting confused here. Let me start from the beginnning. Understand that I don't have the entire display and controllers on and connected to my computer. I can't get the scheduler to work (or it's telling me I can't) because of this.

I have set up all the elements, controllers, outputs, channels and universes in LSP. This is a new test sequence, not imported and only 10 seconds long. . My entire show is around 17,000 channels when set up. The only thing I have been testing and that is connected to the computer/software are 8 channels on a dmx dumb rgb controller. All of my other channels are blank. I had not connected the controller and tried to output to lights until now. I was just "in software" watching the channels and visualization in comparison to the sequence marker. That is what was out of sync. I did connect the controller to the computer and ran the sequence - the lights connected to it are in sync with the music. It is also now in sync with with the software only visualization side of things as well. I'm not sure of the why?

So, is this telling me to get accurate sequencing feedback from this program I must have the contorllers connected and on? Or, do I just have to "trust" that my sequencing is correct in real time even though it's not represented with the visualizer as such?

calonestar

New elf
Yes, I set low resolution when I reinstalled the software. Based on what I found this evening, I'm going to put together a full test sequence, connect a few more controllers and lights and put my rig in front of them and see what happens. Thanks Eddy.

calonestar

New elf
Re: Display issue (with a little note on channels)

Happy Blinky ....... finally! I really wish I could tell you what was causing the issue, but I can't. Everything sync'd up after a reinstall of LSP and connecting one controller while playing a sequence. I built a mini display over the weekend of about 1/3 of what I'll put out for the holidays and everything looks good. I think the main isssue was probably with the original install of the software. I've noticed a few options under the confirguration menu and additional items in the menu bar that weren't there before. No more lag.

One thing that should be pointed out to newbies to the software, which I only found vaguely mentioned by fasteddy in an LSP site post, is channelling. I was relying on my controllers' universe # to manage my channels. I hadn't set different start channels in the e1.31config in LSP for each universe. I thought the differing universe #'s would do that for me. For instance, I had universe 1 and 2 with a start channel of 1, thinking the controllers would differentiate the data by universe #. Maybe it just happened that way for me last year in LOR, but I didn't have to go into the software and specify what channels were with which controller. I'm sure someone with more experience can explain it better, but the actual (RGB) channels for each pixel cannot be the same. The LSP assigned channel can, but not the (RGB) channels. I'm sure this is elementary to verterans. I saw the universe # as an area code. So, if you had different area codes (universe), you could have the same phone number (your channel assignment). That's not the case. Every pixel in the display must have it's own "area code" (universe) and "phone number" (your channel assignment). Maybe I missed that in the hours of videos and reading, but I never really saw anything defining that. It was shown as an if you wanted to change later option when setting up your controllers

Anyway, enough rambling. Thanks for everyones' input. I don't think my original problem was because of this, but I ran into that issue as I started outputting to the lights and things were all turning on at the same time. Maybe someone can explain it a little better. On to sequencing....YEA!

calonestar

New elf
Thanks Eddy. I did see the video. In LOR last year, I ran two controllers with 17 universes of E1.31 for my mega tree. I just don't remember picking start channels for each universe. I just numbered the universes in LOR and the controllers.