3.x Display Preview Help (Vixen 3)

vegasdave2k

New elf
Hi all!

I'm just getting started with sequencing, and I'm using Vixen 3. I've watched all of the tutorials on YouTube, and it seems the first step is to setup a display preview.

The issue I'm having is simply the layout of my lot. I'm on almost 2 acres, and the house sits a bit back from the road. Another problem is that I have a large oak tree blocking a head-on view of the house from the road. Some of my display is closer to the road than the oak tree, so I cannot simply take a picture behind the tree.

To cover all of my current elements and include the house, I'm forced to take a picture from a 450 angle to the front door. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this sort of thing?

P.s. I'm trying to attach an image of my lot, but I get an error on-submit that the script has maxed out the allocated memory. The image is 1.45 MB, which is well below the 10 MB max. Any thoughts?

JPB

Full time elf
The preview is a guide or tool for you.
The only time it starts getting important is if you plan to do wipes which then uses the location property to know where each element is in relation to other ones.
Maybe take a straight on photo and the roughly draw your house outline over the top in paint or similar before loading the image into vixen

scamper

Dedicated elf
I used a panorama shot. I have fences in the way and cannot see the side of the house, where there are lights.
But as JPB said, it is only a guide and as long as the items are roughly in the right spot, it is usually good enough.
I know there are people that want to be exact and have all the elements precise, but near enough is good enough for me.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
i have herd you can setup multi-display windows, (eg back yard, front yard,neighbours yard) an just all what elements you want on what display
Hope that helps

vegasdave2k

New elf
scamper said:
I used a panorama shot. I have fences in the way and cannot see the side of the house, where there are lights.
But as JPB said, it is only a guide and as long as the items are roughly in the right spot, it is usually good enough.
I know there are people that want to be exact and have all the elements precise, but near enough is good enough for me.

Interesting. I did not think about a panorama. I do need to cover the sides of the house as well, so that's a good tip!

vegasdave2k

New elf
smartalec said:
i have herd you can setup multi-display windows, (eg back yard, front yard,neighbours yard) an just all what elements you want on what display
Hope that helps

Thank you for the tip! I'll have to look that up because that sounds like what I'll need to do if I cannot Photoshop something.