DMX Help

Dustie1124

New elf
Hey everybody. I am trying to switch to X lights to do programming, but for some reason I cannot get any control over my DMX moving heads. They work fine in light o rama sequencer but when I shut down light o rama and open x lights I have no control. Does anybody have any suggestions or input. Is there any special drivers I need or anything like that. I am using an LOR cable adapter at a DMX adapter dongle

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Do you have the type set as open dmx in the layout section? I've reported a bug in xlights that you MUST have the type selected or it doesn't output data regardless of whether the channels are configured as an open dmx dongle.

Dustie1124

New elf
Do you have the type set as open dmx in the layout section? I've reported a bug in xlights that you MUST have the type selected or it doesn't output data regardless of whether the channels are configured as an open dmx dongle.
I have it set to regular DMX. So I need to change it to Open DMX? Thanks for the response.

Domestos

Apprentice elf
Double check your RJ45 to DMX cable. I bought one off Amazon, and the wiring into the DMX was wrong. Had to resolder it. Canispater Christmas has a video on this dating back to 2018. The youtube link is here:

Also check the video from Swyper Orozco. He goes into fairly good detail about initial setup in Xlights. The link is here:

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I have it set to regular DMX. So I need to change it to Open DMX? Thanks for the response.
I'm sure in the older versions you didn't have to assign a model type when you added a prop. When faultfinding for someone recently I found that unless a prop that was on an open dmx dongle was set as type "dmx open" then nothing would be sent out. The transmit light on the dongle would flash madly and the data light on the board would flash but it would only get zeroes. If you jumped into test mode the prop could be ran fine from there.
Hopefully that gives you something to work with.