Effect per model as pixel on a group of submodels?

perigalacticon

New elf
I have a snowflake and I made a sub model with 6 node ranges for the arms. I want to apply the twinkle effect to all of the submodels individually, as pixels. I was thinking you could probably do this like you do with models in a group, using "Per Model As Pixel" render style. But this doesn't work, no render style options do what I would like it to do. Is there a way to make this happen? I have many other models I like to apply this concept to, with more submodels and node ranges.

Gilrock

Full time elf
I'm a dev and I'd have to test it out to see how it works but as far as I recall there is no option for that. I don't believe "Per Model" goes down to the sub-models.

Cranzy

Full time elf
I am unsure of exactly the effect you want on the arms of this flake. If you apply the twinkle effect to the arms submodel and on the effect settings set Percent of Lights to 100 that would make each node have a twinkle. Can you describe how you want to twinkle to work on the flake?

Gilrock

Full time elf
I'm thinking he wants the entire submodel to twinkle like its one pixel so all pixels in the submodel would have the same brightness throughout the twinkle.

Cranzy

Full time elf
I'm thinking he wants the entire submodel to twinkle like its one pixel so all pixels in the submodel would have the same brightness throughout the twinkle.
I think then 'As Pixel' will work.

Gilrock

Full time elf
Yes if he puts the effect on every submodel. He was trying to put one effect on a group that made each submodel act that way. Pretty sure no option will do that but I won't bet money on it.

Srmorgan

Full time elf
you put the different submodels into a group then apply it to that group. but if you do it, as pixel, the entire submodel will light up not just individual pixels that the twinkle effect does.. You’ll have to do per model default, or per preview and if every submodel is in a group it’ll treat each submodel as a model.

Last edited:

Gilrock

Full time elf
Well re-reading the post it doesn't sound like you tried putting all the sub-models in a group and then using "Per Model Per Pixel". I'd say try that. We definitely don't have an option that automatically parses submodels just because something is rendering on a model.