Extra PSU in Smart Receiver Box for Extra Power Injection

bundymat

New elf
Hi All,

The attached photo is of the smart receiver box i have. I am thinking about adding a 3rd smart receiver and 2nd PSU to power the 3rd smart receiver and will add extra distro board for power injection if needed at a later date. I have read about having common ground between PSU's.

As you can see in the photo, the 2nd PSU will supply power to the 3rd Smart receiver and power distro

My questions is:

When connecting common grounds between 2 PSU, do all 3 of the V- need to be connected between both PSU's

Also one other question with 3,2,3 injection tees, Does the V+ pin on the male 3 pin side of tee have no power going to it, or does it need to be removed to stop power going back to the controller

Thank you for any advise

Attachments

• 20220419_152947.jpg
    20220419_152947.jpg
    768.8 KB · Views: 38

KiwiPhil

Full time elf
yep you got it, just a single conneciton ebtween the V- on the power supply is enough to sort the data issues in most cases, just dont mix up Ground and V- as technically they are 2 different things (for some reason lots of people in this hobby use V- and ground as interchangable, its fine when talking about an isolated DC circuit for 0v potential but when you have an actual ground and V- 1cm away from each other, not so good!)

lots of videos from Chris Maher, Canispater, the hook up that show lots of detail about how to power inject and how to protect the wire with fuses correctly that can explain it lots better that I can type it, suggest you watch those!

bundymat

New elf
Thanks for the reply
I should have only used V- when talking of DC volts
So only 1 between PSU or have to connect all 3