F48 - not powering up

chris3453

New elf
Came home tonight and found my F48 was not on been working fine since December 1st
Checked the 5V supply with the multimeter and got a steady 5v.
What can I check on the board in order to narrow down the issue?
Any common failure points to look for?

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
Use the multimeter and in ohms mode check between 5Vin and GND that it's more than 20ohms after holding the leads in place for more than 2s, if it's below 10 ohms you probably have a short somewhere.
If all ok try bumping up the PSU to 5.3v and restart the F48.

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
The f48 has over voltage protection, so if voltage is over 5.0v it wont power on
I most humbly bow before the Guru. 😄
I use this trick on the v1.01 smart receivers and thought it might work on the F48

chris3453

New elf
Thanks for the reply guys, gave up in the end and replaced the F48 with 7 ESP 8266 boards I had around for other projects. Ended up just using WLED and syncing the controllers across my Wifi network. Worked OK had some sync issues but nothing that anyone viewing would notice. Not had much luck getting a hold of anyone at Falcon to troubleshoot/repair the board.

darylc

404 darylc not found
Did you try troubleshooting with the folks on the xlights zoom room? No common faults that I'm aware of that prevent power on.

OldMarty

New elf
Checked the 5V supply with the multimeter and got a steady 5v.

Did you actually measure 5volts right at the power input on the P48 board?
Also check the underside of the power input connections, they can come adrift due to lack of solder or cold solder joints (breaks), just resolder the connections and the board may come back to life. (i see this a lot on all kinds of boards).