Falcon f16v3 Ready-to-Run vs Pixlite weatherproof units

Dethedrus

New elf
I'm ready to take the plunge, but am seriously flummoxed as to what better fits my needs.

The main goal is outline my roof, which would be approximately 16 meters, and shooting for a 60 pixel/m density with 12v ws2815 being my target. That keeps down power injection requirements to just the ends of each strip (hopefully). The first floor run of lights will start a meter or two away from the box itself with any luck, but the second floor will be 5-6 meters away if this presents an issues. I plan on expanding to yard items (megatree, arches, etc) later and just wanted to get the basics down for this year.

My first big question is Falcon or Pixlite? On paper, they appear to be very similar to a complete n00b like myself. Pixlite's "expanded mode" and overall enclosure aesthestics are very pleasing, but unless I go for the smaller PixLite 4 Rugged MkII, I'm spending USD $100 more for what looks like a very similar device (PixLite 16 Plug & Play MkII) compared to the Falcon f16v3. I plan on expanding to more lights in the future, but most likely to be other strips/nodes that start close(ish) to the box.

KiwiPhil

Full time elf
I run both, they both have advantages and disadvantages, I started with a pixlite 4 and ran a house outline on it first year, second year I added the mega tree on a pixlite 16 in expanded mode, this year I am adding 2x falconf16v3's to run props. TBH I dont really have a preference, pixlites are mainly controled though the advatek assistaint software and the falcons are web based. The Pixlites are way simpler to update firmware. The pixlites work better with the expanded mode as you have said so they are good for local running of matrix / mega trees without zigzag cabling but the falcons big pro is the ability to add smart recievers to run many props without too much power injection as its done at the reviever. Both are very capable controllers.

Just be aware if you buy the premade ones you will need to inject power as they can run approx* 100 pixel per output without power injection.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
16 meters, and shooting for a 60 pixel/m density with 12v ws2815 being my target.
I'll be the first to jump in about strip. I keep hearing that it is a pain to waterproof and repair. That's all I have to say about strip in terms of form.

60 LEDs a meter is going to be a big power draw!
[This listing] is for 60LED/meter but tells us the wattage for 72LED/meter......
After some calculations to factor for 60LED/meter:
16 meters that is 16 amps. With the small wires inside of the strip you'd be power injecting every few meters with thick wire. - (assuming brightness would be 100%).
Calculating down to 60LED/meter for 16 meters is about 16 amps.
It will look amazing though!
Spoiler content hidden. Log in to see this content.

Falcon or Pixlite?
@ChasingTraction above has more experience than me in each controller.
My first thought is for a Falcon since you're in the United States and it's cheaper for you.

Dethedrus

New elf
I run both, they both have advantages and disadvantages, I started with a pixlite 4 and ran a house outline on it first year, second year I added the mega tree on a pixlite 16 in expanded mode, this year I am adding 2x falconf16v3's to run props. TBH I dont really have a preference, pixlites are mainly controled though the advatek assistaint software and the falcons are web based. The Pixlites are way simpler to update firmware. The pixlites work better with the expanded mode as you have said so they are good for local running of matrix / mega trees without zigzag cabling but the falcons big pro is the ability to add smart recievers to run many props without too much power injection as its done at the reviever. Both are very capable controllers.

How exactly do the Pixlites "work better" with expanded mode? Longer runs on the same port?

And just how hard is the firmware update on a Falcon? I'm not IT challenged, so unless it requires some sort of arcane ritual at midnight of the full moon, I think it should be ok ;)

Just be aware if you buy the premade ones you will need to inject power as they can run approx* 100 pixel per output without power injection.

Power injection sounds very daunting to be honest, but bear in mind that's coming from somehow whose most complex electrical task is switching out light fixtures and switches. I imagine that means keeping the pixel/m count down to 30 would be much more manageable so that I wouldn't have to inject in the middle of strands.

Another part that's a bit confusing is number of controllers. Say I'm running about 16 meters of lights at a density of 30 pixel/m. There is a physical separation between lights of 5-6m... or alternately I could just run more lights to keep it contiguous(ish). Is this going to require more than a single controller? Or are the separate controllers in your example due to keeping specific parts (say the megatree) separate from the rest of the run?

Thanks so much for your advice!

Dethedrus

New elf
I'll be the first to jump in about strip. I keep hearing that it is a pain to waterproof and repair. That's all I have to say about strip in terms of form.

I just watched the Canispater video Friends Don't Let Friends Use Strip (2019) and am simultaneously disheartened but relieved to have seen it before spending a lot of money on strips!

My goal was to have a uniform outline of the house and strips seemed like the simplest way to achieve this. Is it "easy" to do with square nodes with or without a housing (like aluminum channels)?

60 LEDs a meter is going to be a big power draw!
[This listing] is for 60LED/meter but tells us the wattage for 72LED/meter......
After some calculations to factor for 60LED/meter:
16 meters that is 16 amps. With the small wires inside of the strip you'd be power injecting every few meters with thick wire. - (assuming brightness would be 100%).
Calculating down to 60LED/meter for 16 meters is about 16 amps.
It will look amazing though!
Spoiler content hidden. Log in to see this content.

Maybe I'm going way overboard to start! I'm already considering dialing back my specs to 30 pixel/m and going WS2811 since with nodes I can still individually address (as opposed to WS2811 strips).

Thanks for the input!

KiwiPhil

Full time elf
ah sounds like you are running strip, in that case you can run a 5m 60 led/m strip per output without too many problems as long as you dont have too much distance from controller to first pixel, I did this lasty year with strip running 1 strip per output with no power injection ( used 5v strip )

Attachments

• 74424874_113823396748822_3053436540152709120_o.jpg
    74424874_113823396748822_3053436540152709120_o.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 25

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
If you want to keep down power injection requirements I would highly recommend using nodes or C9's. You will also have far less problems. Not a fan of strip here... It has its uses but house outline isn't one for me. Been there done that... No need for 60 leds per meter for most house outlines. I would highly recommend Falcon over Pixlites. I replaced all my Pixlites a few years ago due to limitations of the controllers. Falcons have many more features that might not mean much to you now but they will in the future. Falcon and Pixlite both offer great customer support and you really can't go wrong with either. An F16v3 offers much more room for expansion in the future

KiwiPhil

Full time elf
How exactly do the Pixlites "work better" with expanded mode? Longer runs on the same port?

And just how hard is the firmware update on a Falcon? I'm not IT challenged, so unless it requires some sort of arcane ritual at midnight of the full moon, I think it should be ok ;)

Thanks so much for your advice!

with expanded mode it changes the clock pin to a second data pin so you get 32 outputs instead of 16 - it does not increase the pixel count but it allows simpler cabling in some situations ( I did my tree with 32x 5m strips and zero power injection) would not have been able to do that with a falcon

its not super hard on a falcon just more steps, you need to transfer a file to a microsd, update the bootloader, transfer another file to the microsd and the update the firmware - the pixlite is just select the firmware file from the assistant on a windows pc and it does the rest for you.

like I said, both have one or two features the other does not, both are good controllers

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I would highly recommend using nodes or C9's.
I have to agree too. Not just because my roof line of 20m is 150 C9's ;).
C9's are a light that is made to be seen with the decorative cover and (my opinion) looks good in smaller numbers. [Obviously I wouldn't mind to add more for density..]

But I'm not one to doubt ambitions of going with dense pixels, after all it can help with some effects. You've got to weigh up both sides.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.