Falcon F16v4 port 1 burns fuse for port 1, audio not working

Matt SI

New elf
I have a slight problem with my Falcon. I'm new to lights and Falcon F16v4.
I have connected led 2815 strip and 2811 pixels - max 300PX to ports. It worked a bit after that I got a broken fuse on port 1. Controller failed - It was working very odd for a few minutes - didn't listen to any commands and after a while - it came back.

I noticed that fuse 1 is burnt, I changed it, but it burns instantly - even if port one is disconnected from lights. I'm not sure how it got burnt but I can't get port 1 to work. And audio is not working either. I checked the board but chips that control ports - they have no marks that I could replace them?

Any suggestions about audio? I would really need output?

Dreamin

Full time elf
Yeah, 300 is too much if your power percentage is too high. Even 30% in 5V is over 5amp based on 0.6w per light.

The board only allows 5amp fused (don't change them, they are rated for a reason!).

Use this to calculate the power for your lights. http://spikerlights.com/calcpower.aspx it shows the amps over on the right, you can add in your wire lead and injection points as well so you can see if your losing power in places and need an injection point. It's a great tool.

Matt SI

New elf
Thank you very much for link.

I m using WS2815 strip, which is not that "bad". I m running 400 px per channel without injecion and everything works ok and fuse is 5A - it works at 30% ilumination.

I got short surcuit somewhere - from 12V to data line.
Thank you very much for your reply. I ordered new SN chip and l hope nothing happened to controller.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Use this to calculate the power for your lights. http://spikerlights.com/calcpower.aspx it shows the amps over on the right, you can add in your wire lead and injection points as well so you can see if your losing power in places and need an injection point. It's a g

Use this to calculate the power for your lights. http://spikerlights.com/calcpower.aspx it shows the amps over on the right, you can add in your wire lead and injection points as well so you can see if your losing power in places and need an injection point. It's a great tool.
I can't endorse that tool as he has got the voltage drop calculations wrong.
Voltage drop along a string of pixels is actually an inverse curve.
The current falls along the string from injection/start point to the end due to the parallel connection of each constant current led.
The voltage drop per section between leads reduces as well.

This can be calculated by the static loop resistance of the pos/neg measured with one end shorted to get the wire loop resistance.
Measure the input current to get the average current per LED
Then use that to plot the inverse curve.
The following graph shows the calculated value as well as the measured value every 5 leds. I just grabbed a random string of 50 2811 pixels
vdrop 50 pixels.PNG

Cheers
Phil

Matt SI

New elf
Thank you for your reply's.
I found logical gate model in first one and I m getting new one's tomorrow. I hope port 1 or 2 start working again!

About voltage drop. I agree with both of you but I have led strip with spacing 1,3 inch (3,3 cm) and I have 6,5 meters of strip (btw - it works without any problems in color or burnt fuse on 12 meters of strip). And yes that is last strip that I bought - they are so sensitive. It's impossible not to break them - I admire people who put them on mega Tree.