Falcon Smart differential receivers

fuzbat

New elf
I saw the falcon 'Smart' differential receivers work with Hanson differential transmitter boards - I'm presuming they only work in 'dumb' mode - i.e. no chaining of receivers? Because that would be too easy/hard right :)

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Exactly right. Dumb mode is basically passthrough of the data, it's just converting from TTL to RS422 and back again.
You can pretty much use any vendor's dumb mode receivers and transmitters together - with the exception of the Hinkspix ones as they run a different pinout (although an adaptor could be made)

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Actually - let me clarify. I misread the above question and responded incorrectly

If you have a HE123D BBB Cape, with the differential outputs, OR a HE123v2 with a differentail expansion board - and a version 6 FPP license, you can use the Falcon Receivers in both Smart and Dumb mode. For dumb mode, 0, single board per output. For Smart mode - they need to be set to either 1-3 (for v1 protocol) or 4-9 for v2 protocol. Also the Black BBB Smart Receivers that Falcon & Kulp sell will also work in these modes.

If you are using the HE123-4T Differential Transmitter board (https://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/he123-4t/) - These take in 4 standard pixel outputs from any controller and convert them to a diff signal - these will ONLY work in dumb mode.

My mistake above was I was only thinking of the latter when you said transmitter board.

Reactions: AAH

fuzbat

New elf
I presume there isn't (yet?) xlights integration for configuring differential ports in 'smart' mode?

I'll have to pull my v2 box out of the roof and actually test :)

Being able to run a single c5 out to a far away place and getting a bunch of different strings is appealing - then again cheap differential receivers is also something I like..

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Yes, you should be able to configure them in smart mode.
I'll double check in the morning on the board I have sitting on my desk which has some smart receivers attached to it.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Can confirm that pushing from xLights works fine - this is a HE123D, but the HE123 is the same:

xLights setup-
Tree 1 and 3 set to smart A and B
Tree 4 set to dumb mode
Tree 2 set to cascade down 4 remotes
Matrix set to cascade down 4 remotes

1675331300073.png

FPP configuration after a push:

1675331375610.png
1675331396112.png
1675331412633.png

Reactions: AAH