Faulty power units for 31v Fairy lights

Ducks Luck

New elf
I have a small display in Canberra & have a problem with the power units reverting back to "combination mode" after some time, despite the promise on the box. I had been searching for a more powerful transformer to group the various strings of lights together & came across this site. I was not looking to time them to music. Any suggestions you can give would be appreciated.

1694482027644.png

chickda

New elf
Is it 31v dc? I think I have some power supplies that are 31v and I won't use them. Do you want to buy?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
The best controller for the Bunnings style 31V (two-wire) lights is the Hanson DMX2-24 or 2811DC2-30

These will take in either a DMX or WS2811 signal and control two-channel lights which use the polarity inversion method.

Ducks Luck

New elf
The best controller for the Bunnings style 31V (two-wire) lights is the Hanson DMX2-24 or 2811DC2-30

These will take in either a DMX or WS2811 signal and control two-channel lights which use the polarity inversion method.
Thanks for your replies. I will pass on buying the replacement power supplies & chase up one of the Hanson products.

Johnnyboy

Full time elf
Thanks for your replies. I will pass on buying the replacement power supplies & chase up one of the Hanson products.
Just a FYI. The Hanson board linked above controls the lights only (ie no power supply included. You will still need a decent power supply to connect to the board that also powers the lights though the board. Have a look at the second picture on the Hanson site to see where the power supply connects up.

someoneAUS

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
Will also need to send it pixel data for it to actually do anything AFAIK, which means needing an ESP32 or something at least to generate that pixel data. If its just a static display and you are just trying to stop them from cycling through the different inbuilt effects when they first power on the Hanson board might not be the right fit but if you wanted a bit more control over the effects and the potential to start down the rabbit hole we all love and enjoy ( mostly ) its a good way to go.

https://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/2811dc2-30/ <-DC controller linked above. Needs the 31v power supply to power the lights.

https://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/power-supply-s-200-31/ <-200 watt 31v power supply.

https://shop.allnetchina.cn/collect...digital-led-controller?variant=39296748585062 <- Quinled Uno to supply the pixel data... think like the patterns that the normal power supply that comes with the lights does but on steroids... to the DC controller above.

There are many options for the pixel data supplier bit, the quinleds are pretty cheap and have a good rep.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The DMX2-24 has a "classic" mode in which it will control all of the attached lights in the same style as the standard multifunction controllers. You therefore don't have to run any dmx data into the board to control the lights. The controller can also be set to fall back to this same "classic" mode if no dmx data is being received.

Ducks Luck

New elf
The DMX2-24 has a "classic" mode in which it will control all of the attached lights in the same style as the standard multifunction controllers. You therefore don't have to run any dmx data into the board to control the lights. The controller can also be set to fall back to this same "classic" mode if no dmx data is being received.
I had read in your data that the DMX2-24 could be used in the classic mode alone but didn't realise that it didn't include the transformer.
I will contact the supplier to get the equipment & start what could be a roller coaster ride
Thanks for your help & comments

Johnnyboy

Full time elf
I had read in your data that the DMX2-24 could be used in the classic mode alone but didn't realise that it didn't include the transformer.
I will contact the supplier to get the equipment & start what could be a roller coaster ride
Thanks for your help & comments
Or just grab a 31v transformer as well like this one as well

Also have a 200w option for slightly cheaper if you dont need 400w