first show is well on its way but need a little advice

badger4543

Full time elf
slowly ticking of my list of things i need to sort out for my first show. so far ive sorted my RPi with falcon player, my pixlite 16 (how to configure), and my layout with a few xlights sequences.

a quick layout question, is this to much for a single pixlite16? should i ad an extra? where should i mount my controller? i originally thought id put my control box in my garage but now thinking im going to put it out side behind my tree down the side of the house. ive attached a pic of my layout as reference.

i guess next step is to build my props? is there much more i can do witihout actually having props ready?

im really trying to keep ontop of this project as i dont want it to fall out from under me later in the year ive already added so much extra then i origally planned for a first show..

anything else i need to be thinking of as a first timer

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 7.49.41 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 7.49.41 pm.png
    1 MB · Views: 34

TANSA

Sparky with Blinky Lights ;-)
Generous elf
What is your max pixels on an output.
I have run 600 pixels at 40fps no problems with a PixLite 16. Was going to test 800 this year.
My longest run with extra power is 15m of wire.
Keith did a test with controllers and wire size for 5V and 12V for the OZ online and from memory he tested 20m. Look it up it is really good.
If you are only going 20fps the max for the PixLite is 1020 per output.
By the time your show is up and running you will probably change your mind more than not and while it is running you will be making plans for the next.
little steps or big steps keep it to what you should be able to get done or you will stress out. It is all about the smiles for me not how big the show is. Enjoy the ride.

badger4543

Full time elf
I have run 600 pixels at 40fps no problems with a PixLite 16. Was going to test 800 this year.
Keith did a test with controllers and wire size for 5V and 12V for the OZ online and from memory he tested 20m. Look it up it is really good.
By the time your show is up and running you will probably change your mind more than not and while it is running you will be making plans for the next.
little steps or big steps keep it to what you should be able to get done or you will stress out. It is all about the smiles for me not how big the show is. Enjoy the ride.

My max would be the tree @ tops 400 pixels but will probably be made smaller then that.
could I daisy chain the arches and mini trees to use one output? I havent dived into how to map the props (I think that's what you'd call it) to use less outputs (on the controller) yet but at this stage I'm still under the 16 outputs if I keep them grouped as I think they should be, but im all for less wiring so if I could learn to daisy chain a few more together and just power inject instead of running more outputs id be keen for that

TANSA

Generous elf
To me it sounds like you have it all under control.
Daisy chain away and don’t forget to power inject. On a couple of props I only run -ve (ground) and data from the PixLite as they are 12V and I only run small props 5V from the PixLite, the tree +ve (positive) is from the power supply fused. 5v
With good power management you got it all covered.
I group mine in different ways top to bottom, and shortest to longest distance.
Most would say random but it makes sense to me, so yours has to make sense to you

badger4543

Full time elf
If the mini trees are daisy chained with the arches I can still have the trees operate without out the arches yeah?? Like if in a sequence I can have the trees grouped with the wreath and doing the same effect without it the arches.. if so what do you actually call this process so I can try find some links/vids to learn how to.

Hope that makes sense haha

TANSA

Generous elf
In xLights you can do lots of things with grouping etc.
The basics of how it all works is the first pixel is #1(3channels for R G B) and each one after that in increases by 1, if you wire it all the same as it is in the controller setup they should all work if it all matches (the hard part)
Each data that gets sent out ever ?fps it tell every pixel what colour and what brightness all at the same time (almost).

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
Good looking layout.

Some quick things I would look out for.
- The amount of lights you may need more than 1-2 power supplies pending your voltage with this you need to remember that you can join the positive wires together only the negative.
- Whilst it is possible to run it all off one controller just watch out as if pixel #1 of a string dies you may loose 2-4 props.
- There is a lot of additional wiring required daisy chaining props, Split Power / data, Injection points, etc. Me personally have a prop per port or up to 200 pixels per port. As I only need one power injection point @ 200 pixels 12v (Varies heavily on your display).

If you are wanting to get this done for christmas 2020 please start building every day from now to december as it is quite a lot to do in little time.

- from your layout near the front door is a good location for your controller. Remember you can run your cables from your controller to your prop over 5-9m otherwise you can get some data glitching (hanson electronics null buffer can be your best friend in that regard).

A quick way for your roof line is zip tying / drilling conduit lines and putting magnets on the back to hold them to your roof.

Have fun!

badger4543

Full time elf

Sorry when you say you have ran 600 pixels per output did you mean pixels as in individual lights/nodes?

TANSA

Generous elf
600 lights/nodes/pixels
Each pixel/node has 3 channels 1 for Red 1 for Green and 1 for Blue.
595 actually one output for 1 prop

Attachments

• 4A5A3C67-83A4-44BC-831F-B1441DE18780.jpeg
    4A5A3C67-83A4-44BC-831F-B1441DE18780.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

TANSA

Generous elf
Rule #1 don’t panic. :thumbsup:
You got it covered and there a lot of good knowledgeable people that are all willing to help.