First year, but wanting to build a setup compatible with my brother's

jonnio

New elf
After a couple years of helping my brother on his display I am ready to do one of my own. I have already purchased pixels, pixel spot lights, mega tree kit, and various odds and ends. The last thing I have left to get are my LED and standard light controllers. For the standard lights I am leaning towards the LOR stuff and I've been looking a lot at the Kulp LED controllers. My question is:

My brother has built his entire show in the LOR Showtime suite and he uses their pixie and regular controllers. If I go with the Kulp LED and LOR regular, can I also use the LOR Showtime software so that he and I can share new sequences as we build them? What about if I go XLights? Is there an easy way to import/export? I really want to be able to share the workload each year adding new songs and things, but don't really want to get locked into LOR hardware.

Thanks for any help/advice

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I think a lot of people here would suggest you stay clear of LOR if you are starting out, mainly because the price is extreme compared to some of the other solutions that are available however they are a lot more DIY hands on etc.

I'm not entirely sure if Xlights can export files that will work with LOR and or the other way around, what you will get is a lot more effects and support from people here as LOR isn't something many people on this forum specalise in.

jonnio

New elf
I think a lot of people here would suggest you stay clear of LOR if you are starting out, mainly because the price is extreme compared to some of the other solutions that are available however they are a lot more DIY hands on etc.

I'm not entirely sure if Xlights can export files that will work with LOR and or the other way around, what you will get is a lot more effects and support from people here as LOR isn't something many people on this forum specalise in.
Thanks and yes, I have been reading a lot and understand that LOR (hardware and software) is not highly regarded within the DIY lighting community...Which is why I have been struggling to get information on if there's a way I can meet my objective of sharing the programming workload with my brother who is already heavily invested in the LOR ecosystem.

buzzdude

Full time elf
Xlights has a convert function to all of the other Applications. It's under Tools > Convert from within xlights. The below screen then allows you to select a fseq file and output to other formats.

1634354802877.png

I've never used it, but it may help you out.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.