FPP Audio Lag

Kartman

New elf
Generous elf
Hi,

Trying to make my audio better this year.

Previously I used a couple of bluetooth type speakers with line in to avoid lag but it introduced a few problems. I need to run long cables through the garden and I got some hum in the speakers. The hum was most noticeable when the power was off and the speakers were running down their batteries. Unfortunately this meant at night when the show shuts down I get a hum lullaby to go to sleep with. The other issue is I needed to go and turn speakers on each night. I also want to reduce the cables running through the garden and across the lawn.

I have fixed the main audio with a small amp and a set of weatherproof speakers but I want to run audio at different points through the display. I was thinking of running audio off the remote instances of FPP (on rpi and sound blaster) but am worried about it stuttering when the sync pulses come through, or there being a small lag occasionally.

Currently I have a remote instance of FPP about 50m away playing audio in the neighbour's yard but the distance between the two displays is enough that any lag would not be noticed and I haven't heard any stuttering as the sync pulses pull the displays into line, if that is actually happening.

I do have an FM transmitter but every time I have tried to use the same cheapie FM radios people use in their push to listen or remote speakers I get really poor audio and lots of static so I do not see this as a solution.

Can I safely run multiple audio outputs off different remote instances of FPP without having too many issues with stuttering or lag.

Can I safely run multiple audio outputs off different remote instances of FPP without having too many issues with stuttering or lag.
The answer is "try it and see" - some people report success, some report failure.

It comes down to how fast/slow the remote Pi's are running in relation to the master Pi. If they are leading/lagging by a bit, then every time it pulls it back in line there might be an audible stutter. In some cases, the two devices will run at almost identical speeds so it's not noticeable.

Back