Fusing

Grant Astley

New elf
Hi All
Just wondering if anyone fuses their power supplies etc.
For example for my initial setup (first year with pixels)
240V I am going to have to power supplies, both supplied from the same power outlet
5V I will have the outputs from the power supplies going to the F16v3 inputs V1, V2 and power input, along with powering a raspberry Pi and a fan.

Normally from the power supplies to all these inputs is not fused unless you add your own. And I would say most only parallel their power supplies together on the 240v side.
So I was wondering if anyone does add fuses and if so haw many?

I plan on fusing the power supplies 240v inputs separately this way you wont loose the whole display if 1 power supply ****s itself, either fusing both inputs for the pixels power on one fuse or separately again and then having another fuse for the fan and 1 last fuse for the raspberry pi and F16v3 power supply.
Multiple reasons for this but the biggest one I guess is that you dont want a faulty fan taking out your whole display.
If the raspberry pi or controller goes the whole display is gone anyway so they can be joined up.
Separating the two power supplies and two inputs keeps part of the show going and may allow you to bypass the damaged power supply to get thing back up and going.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I Fuse MOST of my PSU's on the 240V side with 1 fuse per box of up to 3 PSU's. If the 5/12V side goes directly to a controller with a fuse (J1 Sys P12, or Falcon F16) then I rely on that fuse, but if it is also supplying power injection as well then I'll add extra fuses as well

Grant Astley

New elf
I have the F16 as said above but from what I can see it only has fuses on the pixel string side (out going) there is not a large say 20 or 30 amp fuse straight after the input terminals. This is why I was thinking of adding a fuse in between the PSU and the F16.
Personally I don't think there can be to many fuses (Within reason obviously)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
If you had a short that would blow a 30 amp fuse then in most cases a 350 watt power supply will shut down anyway on its internal overload protection if it didn't have a fuse on the output