G'day mates and (matesses.....??)

Kimbo3000

Apprentice elf
Gday from the adelaide hills :) (South Australia.. obviously :p )

I found this forum about a week ago and have read the 101 guide a few times and many posts. Now I am nice and confused.. lol. I'm planning on putting together a setup at my parents house, where it will be seen by more people than at mine, plus then I wont have to pay for the power!

I have electrical knowledge and can solder pretty well, also have fair computer and networking knowledge. My father has good structural (building) and electronics skills to bring to the table.. I dont know why I havent got onto this sooner. I will probably start with a gutter outline and maybe a mega tree (depending on time and finances).

I have plenty of questions which I'll ask in the appropriate sections and I'll try and check out the chat at some stage too.

Thanks for the info so far
Kimbo

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
welcome, sounds like you and your dad will have no problems

you're not anywhere near Lobethal are you? The home of Christmas lights in the hills.

Kimbo3000

Apprentice elf
OzAz said:
you're not anywhere near Lobethal are you? The home of Christmas lights in the hills.

Depends what you call "near".. Someone I work with is from Lobethal.. so I guess so. But its funny, I have never been there to see the lights at Christmas.. lol I'm currently pulling all my inspiration from youtube videos.

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Hi kimbo welcome I also am an sa member and never seen lobethal lights as always busy here yes definetly sounds like you will do well with both of your skills would recommend you concentrate on a couple of projects first to get your head around controllers wiring sequencing etc etc and progress from there always ask questions plenty of knowledge and guys willing to help . Good luck mate

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Welcome to ACL kimbo,
Im based in Whyalla, South Australia..
it looks like you missed the Adelaide mini, but it looks like the videos are now online.

if you want to ask heaps of questions an wish a live response.. pop into the chat room an say hi.. there's normaly some of us lurking there..

also if you want more inspiration an idea's.. check out the ACL Video Gallery

i13

Dedicated elf
Welcome to ACL from another South Australian!

Please ask if you have any questions as the first year can be the most challenging and we're here to help with a common interest.

I did visit Lobethal in 2012 and it was lots of medium sized static displays. They're down in a valley so you could look out over them if you can find somewhere without too many trees blocking the view.

Hope to meet you in chat some time.

TheFordys

New elf
5 Cimarron Edge Meadow Springs Mandurah WA
OzAz said:
welcome, sounds like you and your dad will have no problems

I really really really want to visit your area but the problem is I am always busy looking after our display. That and the fact I live in West Oz and too scared to fly. Very famous area for Christmas lights

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, you found the right place to help you get a great show this year. There is a steep learning curve but eventually all the pieces start to fall into place

i13

Dedicated elf
TheFordys said:
I really really really want to visit your area but the problem is I am always busy looking after our display. That and the fact I live in West Oz and too scared to fly. Very famous area for Christmas lights

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
As of 2012, Lobethal was nice but I don't think it would be worth travelling interstate to see it.