General questions re: PixLite 4 & PSU

davewrath

New elf
Hi all,

I do projection mapping for events (nightclub/ corporate) using Madmapper. Since the madlight inclusion I really want to get some pixels to add to my 2 projectors. I'm considering purchasing the Pixlite 4 Rugged and also the Mean Well HLG240H 12V Power Supply sold by Advatek.

I'm looking for it to drive a net of pixels (eventually more than 1) such as: Pixel Net from Ray Wu. Would this set up work? Could the Pixlite and that PSU drive 4 of these nets, 1 from each output?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I can't see the current draw on that pixel net anywhere. Are there any other pixel net/ grid/ matrix options I should consider?

i13

Dedicated elf
I think the specs listed are messed up. It says 0.24W per LED and it also states 240W per set. Dividing the 240W by the 400 LEDs gives 0.6W per pixel which is a different (but reasonable) figure for 12V pixels. 0.24W per pixel would be a ballpark figure for 5V pixels. The power supply definitely can't run four of these nets. This page states that the power supply is only 192W so it might not even run one pixel net at full brightness white. I don't like how Mean Well use wattages for some power supplies in a range to generate model numbers for other power supplies in the same range with different wattages. https://www.meanwellaustralia.com.au/products/hlg-240h

You'll definitely need to inject power. This is the practice of connecting pixels directly to the power supply. You can't run enough current for 400 pixels through a single output of the PixLite. Another common reason to inject power is due to voltage drop in the wires causing the pixels to display incorrect colours.

If it was me, I'd go for 5V because the pixels are more efficient. You can have more pixels per power supply. More power injection is needed to combat voltage drop which means more cabling with 5V but you're going to have to do some power injection anyway. It is generally a good idea to choose pixels that have the thickest possible wires between them because that'll help with voltage drop too. The same thing applies to the cables between the power supply and pixels; shorter and thicker cables work best. 5V versus 12V could take over this thread because there are so many differing personal opinions on it. I generally suggest 5V when there are are a large number of pixels in a small area and 12V when there are a small number of pixels spread over a large area.

Answering the question about the current draw, you can calculate the current in amps by dividing the power (wattage) by the voltage (12V).

TerryK

Retired Elf
Note that with the indicated power supply, even though it is rated at 16 Amp, the Meanwell specs list overload from 95% to 108%. Even working correctly, it could enter overload at slightly over 15 Amp. Its overload mode is 'hiccup' which means on overload it does a shutdown, pauses, and then attempts a restart. Any controllers powered by it will be shoved into a forced reboot.