GY’s first year 2024

greenyellow

New elf
Well after years of buying Bunnings lights and decorations I thought I would step up
My game.

last few years there’s a house in my town who had been doing pixel light shows. Pretty epic. Mega tree. Matrix on roller door. Whole house done. Had been bit of an inspiration. Looks like for the house he/she mostly used strips though.

After looking at kulps, falcons, Hanson he123, etc I decided on the new baldrick board.

Will be documenting progress for myself to reflect upon and for feedback from others.

Last edited:
Found it easier to keep track with a spreadsheet. Thinking one 500w weatherproof PS will be enough per board since I’m not gonna bother with power injection unless necessary. I’m thinking mini trees as they will be close to the board. The rest will just be easier with single runs out.

edit re tweaked.
300w per 500w PS
Calc 12v resistor LEDs
0.3w/led at 50% brightness

Attachments

• Image 1-9-24 at 11.01 pm.jpeg
    Image 1-9-24 at 11.01 pm.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Bits n pieces

Attachments

• IMG_6770.jpeg
    IMG_6770.jpeg
    799.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6812.jpeg
    IMG_6812.jpeg
    979.4 KB · Views: 21
Today worked on stands for mini trees.
another to go. Was gonna use pressure pipe but with the weight of 500 pixels it was gonna be a bit flimsy still. Used 25mm aluminium box.
the point is to make it easier to mow the lawn weekly. Pick up groups of two trees and move out the way.
actually thinking I want 6 total. 3 pairs. In my layout they are in a straight line. But thinking a staggered look may give the display more depth. They will be behind twin row arches x6.

the trees are 250 pixels each.

Attachments

• IMG_6810.jpeg
    IMG_6810.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6792.jpeg
    IMG_6792.jpeg
    439.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Looks like your well on the way to a good display!

Only comment so far is the arches. Having 400 pixels without power injection/balancing one the one port might be an issue. Super easy to add Power balancing to your setup if you find it flickers or has colour differences during testing.

Is your xLights layout sorted? Post up a pic!

Be interested in what @AAH might say about this as I think he made a comment on the Baldrick Facebook page about a similar sized project saying that if power % is low enough then that person should need minimal PI and only not the 4 power supplies they'd planned..

Looks like your well on the way to a good display!

Only comment so far is the arches. Having 400 pixels without power injection/balancing one the one port might be an issue. Super easy to add Power balancing to your setup if you find it flickers or has colour differences during testing.

Is your xLights layout sorted? Post up a pic!
Hey Johnny. Thanks for your feedback mate. Yeah I was worried too but did connect 400 up and a 7.6m extension. Full white at 40% was ok but after that colour rendering suffered. But as you said can easily do if needed. That controller for arches and mini trees will be close to the props. See what happens.

ahh yeah I’ll chuck up layout pics. That’s on the windows laptop. X lights keeps crashing on my Mac’s.
thanks mate.

Be interested in what @AAH might say about this as I think he made a comment on the Baldrick Facebook page about a similar sized project saying that if power % is low enough then that person should need minimal PI and only not the 4 power supplies they'd planned..
Thanks for the reply mate. Yeah I saw that post too. I’ve tested in the house but see what happens when controller fully loaded. 40% at full whit was about the limit.

Thanks for the reply mate. Yeah I saw that post too. I’ve tested in the house but see what happens when controller fully loaded. 40% at full whit was about the limit.

I'll be running 4800 pixels from my baldrick this year. (2x600 PSU with PI), so will be interesting to see how it goes when almost maxing the thing out

Few mounts made up to try. i also have to see if they fit on 20mm pressure pipe. As it’s less flexible then electrical. Not sure whether to use pressure pipe for roof outlines as it’s double the price

Attachments

• IMG_6850.jpeg
    IMG_6850.jpeg
    501.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I use regular 25mm MD grey electrical conduit from Bunnings for my roof line and window outlines.
Drilled for bullets. Front door, wall washer and house verticals are the same conduit but with strip cable tied to it.
Never had a need to go for anything else more stiff.

I use regular 25mm MD grey electrical conduit from Bunnings for my roof line and window outlines.
Drilled for bullets. Front door, wall washer and house verticals are the same conduit but with strip cable tied to it.
Never had a need to go for anything else more stiff.
Yeah will
Probs settle on 25mm MD. What size did you use for arches on the back.
Yeah I was thinking about drilling conduit for pixels but just bought the corro trim. Didn’t see myself drilling that many holes.

Back