Hello from on the Gold Coast

mstan87

New elf
Hi guys, recently joined the forum (5/11) to get some ideas and to learn how to use LED lighting and controllers. After reading through sections of the 101 manual and watching a few videos online (CanispaterChristmas) I decided to jump in the deep end and get to it. Having a background in IT and tinkering with electronics so I already have a good understanding of most things. I placed an order with Ray Wu for a 5 x 50 pixel strings, 1 x 100 pixels string, 2 x 100 pixel strings with the square housing and some pigtails, all 12V WS2811. I bought the Pixlite16 MkII.

So far I've played around with xlights (I must admit, great bit of software, some bugs, but still great) and created a simple sequence to outline the house and build a small/medium tree. I have gone down the conduit route to mount them so I spent a night cutting, soldering and zip tieing lights together, will probably end up mounting it tonight. I have a few of TFX PSU's from old computers which will power the display. I just soldered a switch to the power on and ground wires to switch on and off.

I bought 25m extension power leads from Bunnings which I will cut to length and use as data and power cables from the controller. Will keep it pretty basic this year but I'll place another larger order with Ray soon and implement some more designs in to the display.

Great site with a lot of great Info.

Cheers,

Matt

Helty

Apprentice elf
Welcome
I am also on the Gold Coast and this is my first year just a little set up but it’s up and running