Hello! Part of my display - might be an easy question

twohons

New elf
I'm looking at making part of my display wireless, as its going to be moved around. What I have in mind is a set of pixels not too different from https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/seed-pixel-matrix-using-bunnings-sheet.16224/
... on a smaller scale. The idea is that I set up my light matrix hooked to something like an ESP32 (and power) or suchlike, which is controlled wirelessly, I suppose WiFi or Bluetooth, from say a raspberry pi running Falcon.
What's the expert's opinion, apart from a distrust of going wireless because of the potential of losing sync with any music?
I'm sure people have done this sort of thing before, how hard would this be to set up? I gather there are circuit diagrams around and some code for talking to a ESP or 82... hooked to lights?

Any tips, hints or feedback welcome! Im in the early days of planning so have flexibility to listen

Many thanks

Best way to do this over wifi, would be either use an ESP32 with an SD card that holds your sequence files and recieves timing packets from FPP (Master/Slave mode), or to use a device running FPP (Pi/Beagle board) and connect your controllers/esp32's via ethernet, again using the timing packets with master/slave mode.

Avoid wifi at all costs when sending lighting data, you will hate the results if you do.

So WLED and espixelstick exist. (Especially the latter with its support for FPP remote mode with a SD card). Look to those for your software Side.

Are you really looking at 80 wireless controllers? What are you trying to achieve?

Back