Hi from Adelaide

TAC

New elf
Hi everyone,

I joined here some months ago but didn't get around to posting to introduce myself at the time.

I've been working my way through the 101 recently and have to say it's a sobering read. I didn't know how much went into these lighting displays. I had plans to decorate my house this year (just with lights synchronised around the rooftop and the window outlines) but the learning curve is steep and my house is likely to be just its usual display of dumb lights plugged into the wall outlets rather than emulating the wonderful displays you all have.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome to ACL (after nearly 8 months). It's actually relatively easy once you understand the basics. Actually talking to someone in person and seeing some lights/controls gives you a massive heads up. There's a lot of displays around Adelaide which you can see via the display locations link at the top.

bpratt

Senior elf
This is my first year of pixels too, and it is quite overwhelming at times, but I am slowly coming to grips with everything myself.

I'll be doing a mixture of dumb leds and smart pixels this year, and I'll be grabbing others sequences and modifying them to suit my small display.

It'll be a far better display this year by just adding a few props and smart pixels, then after Christmas 2019 is finished, I can then start on the 2020 display and keep on enhancing it. That's probably how most people here started their big displays, enhancing the previous one the next year.

Just ask for help if you need it. The ACL chat page is handy, and help via Zoom is really nice. Don't worry too much about what Zoom is now, but you will find it handy as you go along.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf

TAC

New elf
Welcome to ACL (after nearly 8 months). It's actually relatively easy once you understand the basics. Actually talking to someone in person and seeing some lights/controls gives you a massive heads up.

Thanks @AAH - I have found the videos to be the more useful way to approach this, and then gone back to the 101 manual to make more sense of it. It seems to be the same information, so that's not to knock the manual - it's just my preferred way of learning. It's as close as I can get to seeing parts in person until the displays go up.

TAC

New elf
Thanks also for the welcome @bpratt and @djgra79 - I'm under no illusions now that I'm going to go from regular lighting to Griswold overnight, although it may be the safest way - to be complete in the transformation before Mrs @TAC realises the house is to be festooned. :)

TAC

New elf
That "not too late" video was also really helpful and practical, so it resonated with my current state of mind - thanks @djgra79

TAC

New elf
As predicted, my house is just holding up some dumb lights this season. I'm going to take advantage of the map and drive around Adelaide to get a sense of the local scene. From there, I expect to say hello online to some of you and perhaps seek an invite to visit your property during daylight hours for some practical understanding.

I realise not everyone may have the time, but I will bring chocolate. :)