Hi there

Harry.MCMLXiii

New elf
On a whim, I've decided to delve into Christmas Lighting.
I'm a retired electronics engineer, so this is not really out of my comfort zone.
After reading a few info type pages and watching a lot of youtube videos, I'm definitely going to try this.
I'm getting a grip of all the terminolgy and all the requirements for a setup.
I havent purchased anything yet (controllers seem to be scarce) as I'm still deciding what sort of setup I really want (and can afford).

I look forward to interacting on here, as I have a lot to learn.

algerdes

Al Gerdes
Welcome. You are in good company here.
Start (again) here in the Wiki. Section titled "New to Animated Christmas Lights" is worth browsing. The big item on it is to get hold of is the 101 manual. With your background you can probably fly through it.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Welcome Harry, My suggestion for what it is worth, try and get your hands on all of the basics, even if it is 1 power supply, a controller of sorts and a string or 2 of lights as soon as possible so you can put it together and have a play around with whichever software you decide on.
There are way more people using xlights than anything else, but that doesn't mean the others aren't as good.
Either way, getting that first string flashing the way you wanted it to will be the best inspiration on what to do next and just how much is going to be involved. There is always someone selling off second hand gear, so let us know where you are and someone close by may be able to hook you up.
Get some extra sleep now as when the clap finally gets you, it will be hard to sleep for a while :cool:

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL! Lots of info in these pages, but getting something small to start with is good. It's a hands on type of hobby

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Oh, I forgot to mention, I'm in the Newcastle area
A few folk up there - and a number of us in Sydney as well.
As someone who's just finished the first year, all the advice above is very sound.
Try to get along to the Sydney Mini which will most likely be in the last weekend of May, this year we had 40-odd people chatting about all things blinky - a great place to learn and get to know others in the hobby nearby.