Homemade 24v DC Power Supply

108CAM

Proud to have the largest display on my street!
This is a 24v DC power supply I made by putting the transformer from a broken wall plug into a mounting box used for outdoor powerpoints.
I made this to power a string of 24v incandescent icicle lights.
IMG_3503.jpg
Inside the box is the cover that came from the same wall plug as the transformer. I placed it over the transformer to stop it from moving around and it's a perfect fit!
IMG_3502.jpg

108CAM

Be mindful of air flow/ heat build-up.
Thanks. I did a test run with the string I plan to use with it and monitored the buildup of heat. I'll probably have to use it for a low current string or find a way to let the heat out.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Is it a transformer (AC output) or a power supply (DC output)? The pic is too small to make out whether it's an AC symbol or a DC symbol.

108CAM

Is it a transformer (AC output) or a power supply (DC output)? The pic is too small to make out whether it's an AC symbol or a DC symbol.
It's DC. I stated it in the thread title

108CAM

For those who were wanting a closeup of the label, here it is. Doesn't say if the output is AC or DC
It could well be an AC-AC adaptor but apart from the Electrical Specs, Double Insulated, Indoor Use and Safety Certification marks, I have no idea what the other marks mean. One looks to be for a thermal cutoff at 120 *C
I have seen heaps of AC-DC adaptors that are simply labeled as AC Adaptor like this one
1669875266092.png

108CAM

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
It's the symbol indicated in the pic below that I couldn't make out from either pic.
It did look to be the AC symbol but resolution wasn't good enough to be 100% certain.
ACDC.png

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Good catch.....Looks like it exactly matches the one on the primary side there Alan, which would definitely indicate AC.