How do you power down your controller box?

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
To automate FPP shutdown, I have a scheduled playlist that triggers an event to run the FPP shutdown script:

1. go to Content Setup > Script Repository Browser
  2. scroll down to Category: "System" Filename: "Shutdown.sh" and click the 'install' button
  3. Create a new event, go to Status/Control > Events
  4. Choose an available event id (next unused one?), give it a name, command is "Run Script", script name "Shutdown.sh":
  5. View attachment 14888
  6. Add a new Playlist (the event ID below is different to the example above as I had already created this event, your event id will be the same)
  7. View attachment 14889
  8. playlist should look like this after it is added:
  9. View attachment 14890
  10. (you would be able to add this event this as a leadout from your show playlist also, noting that it would run immediately after your show)
  11. Add this playlist to your schedule, I run mine 15 minutes after my show ends:
  12. View attachment 14891

I have a DIN pool pump timer infront of my power supplies, FPP, Falcon and switch: https://www.edaonline.com.au/produc...ctrical-24-hour-electricians-tools-pool-pump/
This is rated to 16 amps, I only have a small display and Im pulling less than 2amps AC, so well within the timers spec. Get your sparky to wire this up ;-)

So the pool pump timer will power everything up around 6pm, and then the FPP will shutdown cleanly at 23:15 followed by the pool pump timer switching everything off at 23:30.

Works a treat.

Steve
Any chance you could do a video on this? My screen looks different to yours.

DarkwinX

Full time elf
You can just add an entry into the scheduler that runs the shutdown script. This is the way I'm doing it prior to my timers hard switching off the power

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I leave all the controllers powered via their external power inputs so they are running 24/7 for the month of December, The main Pi itself doesn't get shut down either, all the power supplies get shut off via a series of smart switches at the end of every night.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I have a similar setup as NEL. Controllers are all powered up via a Poe style arrangement and the pixels power is controlled by smart relays, which in turn are controlled by the master FPP schedule.

DarkwinX

Full time elf
Yes that's right. If you're on 7.2 you can follow that step 1 to obtain the script.

From there you can go to content setup> scheduler

Add a new entry of type command

Select script from the list and pick shutdown.sh

That will gracefully shutdown FPP & the Pi.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
To answer the OP question, starting last year I use tplink Kasa smart plugs for powering controllers (+ static lights). I chose Kasa as these were advertised to store schedules locally on the plug, in order to still function should internet access drop out (though I never did get around to confirming this...). Seemingly the single Kasa plugs have stopped being sold in Australia leaving just the tplink Tapo plugs. Tapo, to my knowledge, does not have the capability to store on/off schedules locally which could be problematic where I am given history of NBN dropouts.

A desktop PC runs my show and it stays powered on permanently during show season.

Jase

New elf
I use little z-wave boxes that are like a shelly. They turn off the power via a MQTT message from FPP talking to my home assistant about 20 mins after the show has finished to make sure that everything is cooled down before it turns off.

Iain

Full time elf
Tapo, to my knowledge, does not have the capability to store on/off schedules locally which could be problematic where I am given history of NBN dropouts.
Shelly PMs should be able to store timing configuration locally on the plug. Plus can integrate to Google and Alexa I think.

Iain

Full time elf
They can, I believe they do need to be connected to the internet for the time bit though.
Of course I forgot about time! I don’t see a battery backed up rtc documented so they’d need internet at some stage, but NTP will keep trying until that’s available.

vk3heg

Full time elf
I just use these guys.. No internet/network requirement. They haven't had AC power since last year and still have the settings stored.
PXL_20231015_000157715.MP.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20231015_000157715.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231015_000157715.MP.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 1

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I just use these guys.. No internet/network requirement. They haven't had AC power since last year and still have the settings stored.
View attachment 23863
I've also used these and they work exactly as youve described, but I upgraded to the kmart wifi ones mentioned earlier last year as I found it easier (read: I'm lazy) to control from my phone and not have to fiddle with buttons in the dark.

vk3heg

Full time elf
I've also used these and they work exactly as you've described, but I upgraded to the kmart wifi ones mentioned earlier last year as I found it easier (read: I'm lazy) to control from my phone and not have to fiddle with buttons in the dark.

I set them up a few years ago, and haven't adjusted them at all. They power up at 7:45-8Pm (I have more than one), and power off at 11:59pm.