Icicles and outline

Kartman

New elf
Generous elf
This is how I made my icicles and outline.

The icicles are in sets of three 300mm, 400mm and 500mm with 5, 7 and 9 bullets each. The strings are custom made 5V.
Each set of icicles attach to the outline section which is just a 700mm length of 30mm by 1.6 angle aluminum powder coated white, with 20 pixels spaced at 37mm.
One straight section of gutter was 6.3M, the other 1.4M and the angled section of the roof 2.1M hence the 700mm length.

A friend molded 3 sets of icicles ie 9 of them out of clay.

P1050131.JPG

We then made a silicon mold and then poured them out of resin. There are 5mm stainless metal threads to attach the aluminum to. Initially we tried embedding the aluminum angle in the resin but this produced a line on the icicles when they were lit up and QA (the wife) objected so we had to start again. The new method turned out quicker and easier with less drilling and machining of the aluminum.

Each batch of resin is slightly coloured, some white pearl and some with an added blue or green tinge.

P1050132.JPG

After that all the pixel holes are drilled (11.5mm) and the icicles and outline bolted together. The outline section is painted green to match the gutter.

To attach them to the house I put rivet nuts into the gutter fascia and screwed each set on.

Each section has 21 icicle pixels and 20 outline pixels, with power injection every 3rd set.

The power supply for them is under the eaves close enough to the middle of everything.

The control box is on my mega tree and about 8M from the first icicle, so I used one of Hanson Electronics @AAH pixel buffers near the control box.

This is how they look at light :

P1050113.JPG

and during the day:

P1050105.JPG

I didn't manage to get any of them up until after Christmas and I still only have half of them up.

stevelee

Apprentice elf
They look awesome !!

It’s given me an idea on how to do icicles on my house. I just need to keep the weight down because some will be attached to some fretwork.