Ideas for a new house next year

Iain

Full time elf
I've found other "build" threads quite useful so thought I'd update this one with my progress.

I picked up about 50 lengths of different type of conduit for free earlier this year off marketplace. After making a test arch I realised 12 arches would be too small to look nice, so I reduced it to 8. That makes each one 800mm high, and 1600 wide, totalling 12.8m out of 13.4m on the left-side of the driveway. Some of that will be spacing and there'll be a bit of dead space on the far end.

An 800mm radius gives around 2.5m arc, which (at 9cm spacing) makes around 28 pixels per arch. I'm going to make a test before drilling holes as this isn't very dense, but I have to ration my pixels!

I worked backward from arc length to radius as I had to know the pixel count first to divide by my arches. The formula (in case you're wondering) is:
diameter = arc*2/Pi. arc is the half-circle circumference you want to achieve.

I bent them using a 240V air gun that says 600 degrees! I found that heating about 20-30cm until it was just a bit soft, but still holding shape, was the right amount at a time. This took around 30-40s per section. I traced a half-circle in chalk on the ground using a string, and worked my way around that. Until my legs got sore and then moved to a table!

The first one kinked, so my father-in-law suggested using something like a pipe-spring inside. Not having anything that size, we settled on sprinkler poly pipe. I ran that through the middle before bending. It's naturally curved from the roll so I found the conduit starting curling itself once up to temp. This stopped the kinks.
IMG_E4295.JPG

The bases were made from left-over sections of each conduit, and some right-angle joints from the hardware store. I used non-pressurised pipe dope which is holding fine. Turns out so long as you glue both inside and outside before joining, it doesn't matter if you forget which end you glued :D Spot the odd one out:
IMG_4292.JPG

Painting was awkward because I wanted to cover the whole lot, yet you need to let it dry somewhere which means you need to leave an unpainted patch. I ended up hanging them inside the shed so all I had unpainted was a little bit in the middle. I've done a couple of coats. Next time I would sand them a lot more as paint doesn't like sticking to PVC so it's easy to chip off. Come to think of it, if I'd drilled the holes first, I could have hung them by one of the holes, but I thought that would make it harder to paint.
IMG_4306.JPG

This weekend's job is to drill and push. I would be super-happy if I can get the plugged into a controller in the house just to see how they look...

Johnnyboy

Full time elf
The first one kinked, so my father-in-law suggested using something like a pipe-spring inside. Not having anything that size, we settled on sprinkler poly pipe. I ran that through the middle before bending. It's naturally curved from the roll so I found the conduit starting curling itself once up to temp. This stopped the kinks.

This weekend's job is to drill and push. I would be super-happy if I can get the plugged into a controller in the house just to see how they look...
Good idea on using some poly pipe on the inside. The pipe is quite easy to kink once its heated it. Will keep this in mind for next time :)

Can you give an update on how the drilling goes on the arches? I ended up using coro, but wondered if i did drill PVC, if it should/could be done before or after bending.

Iain

Full time elf
Can you give an update on how the drilling goes on the arches? I ended up using coro, but wondered if i did drill PVC, if it should/could be done before or after bending.
will do!

Iain

Full time elf
Given how quick and easy it was to do this, I'm rethinking my allocation of bullets vs squares and whether I need to do any drilling at all...
IMG_4310.JPG

Johnnyboy

Full time elf
If you have squares that is much quicker/simpler way that drilling it. Looks good!

someoneAUS

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
um yeah vote 1 for the wrap method... that seems a genius idea... even if you end up needing to buy a 1000 pack of cable ties to make it hold nicely that still way easier than drilling surely.

Iain

Full time elf
Yesterdays project - cut, wrapped and soldered ends on 8 arches…

Just gave them a test and my 8yo thinks they’re the best thing ever. That’s all that matters really isn’t it?!IMG_4330.jpeg

Iain

Full time elf
"This weekend I'll make the window frames..."

"This weekend I'll make one window frame..."

I have to save some PVC for horizontal outlines (where the strip would sag) so I made this with a piece of PVC at top and bottom, and the strip on either side. With some saddles, they'll pull nice and straight (I hope!)
IMG_4347.JPG

Iain

Full time elf
I was about to buy 500 more pixels yesterday, but I decided to do a stocktake first. Turns out I had 500 more pixels than I thought! That’s almost like a surprise Christmas present. Thank you bulk-buys of Christmases-past!

Attachments

• IMG_4359.jpeg
    IMG_4359.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9

Iain

Full time elf
I bought these 12-5V converters off Ali last year. Supposedly they can handle 5A each. I wasn't going to do this because it felt like too much effort for what it's worth, but with the prices of 4mm2 cable...

My thoughts were to run 12V (I have a few string strings running 15m from my power supply in some cases) and then convert to 5V when I needed it - hoping to minimise cable thickness required and converting down at the last few cm.

I wired one up to test it and it only took a few minutes. 12V power supply in on the right, 5V pigtail out on the left:
IMG_4369.JPG

Excuse the mess but it took about 10 minutes to chuck this together. You can see the pigtail coming from the converter, with the data wire plugged into the falcon:
IMG_4371.JPG

So what are the results? Well surprisingly good. With 100 lights, I'm seeing:
input: 12.01V
output:
off: 5.14V
one colour: 5.12V
white: 5.11V

It is not in the slightest bit hot to touch - only barely detectably warm.

The far end of the string dips a bit low, but that's a classic power injection problem.

So I printed these little cases. I'm thinking of press sealing them and placing them around my display (this is a prototype).
IMG_4372.JPG

Thoughts?