Internet Network problems

Croydon Lights

Full time elf
Generous elf
Setting up a new Baldrick board to my show network
Have a Pi 4 running Ver 7.5 network 192.168.5.2
Set up Baldrick board to 192.168.5.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.5.2 DNS not sure what it should be
Set up proxied host on PI for the Baldrick board
Access to the Baldrick board on local network
Baldrick board tell me it can't access the internet

They should have different addresses on the show network - not all be "192.168.5.2". Set the pi and the baldrick to different things, like "192.168.5.2" for the Pi and "192.168.5.3" for the Baldrick Otherwise instead of sending to the gateway the Baldrick will send to itself when "192.168.5.2" is the gateway.

Hah that would have been too easy :-D.

I'd start at page 173 of the manual (https://falconchristmas.github.io/FPP_Manual.pdf) and make sure things like "IP Forwarding" are enabled in network settings.

Troubleshooting, start by making sure the Pi can reach the internet, DNS for the Baldrick could be a popular DNS or they are suggesting setting the DNS to be your home router. Try another device behind the Pi that has a screen on it, to see if you can troubleshoot the settings that way. Once that device can connect to the internet through the Pi, hopefully the Baldrick will.

Set up proxied host on PI for the Baldrick board
Proxy mode wont work. You need to follow the IP Gateway setup that @merryoncherry mentions above. Proxy allows things on the "outside" of your Pi to reach the "inside" show network, but doesn't allow the reverse.
IP Masquerading option will be the one that makes it easiest to configure; no changes to your home/wifi network, it'll just "hide" all the devices behind the Pi to appear that they are coming as the Pi when accessing the internet..

Thanks for your help
Network is is the one thing that I always have trouble with in this great hobby

Back