Just another newbie wanting to get started

brando

Full time elf
Hi all new

Short time creeper, first time caller.

Have just been a traditional fairy lighter until wife and I fell down a youtube rabbit hole, so now we want to start accumulating ahead of next year.

We actually just want to start with a matrix to cover our front window which is 186x186, have a bit of a play around with it throughout the year and use it for the first time next halloween (personally I hate how Halloween has become a thing here, but that's another story).

For now I'm just wanting to accumulate my components so a couple quick questions

Falcon F16 - are these more readily available at certain times than others? Both V3 & V4 out of stock currently
Chroma mesh - looks like the best option for a matrix of that size? Same thing re availability. I found extremelightdisplays.com.au but also out of stock.

I think I have my head around what I actually need for this system to start, but I'll no doubt second guess myself at some point and need to check, but the availability of those are my first curiosities for getting the ball rolling.

Have been playing around with xlights over the weekend and started some ideas to start to integrate and eventually takeover what we have with traditional fairy lights.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome to ACL.
Lookout down that rabbit hole. It can do some serious damage ;)
Stock availability from November until January is always going to be a struggle.

brando

Full time elf
Welcome to ACL.
Lookout down that rabbit hole. It can do some serious damage ;)
Stock availability from November until January is always going to be a struggle.
Thanks mate. So usually beyond then falcon & chromamesh stock will become available again? That works in fine with me anyway to have a play around throughout the year. I learn best by getting my hands on and playing rather than reading, so I’m sure once I get the hang of it I’ll quickly start the additions

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL. As Alan stated above, stocks will be a bit sparse this time of year, not just because of global shipping/postage delays, but also many vendors will be looking after their own displays and providing support.
But dont be a stranger to the site and you'll keep up to date on whats available when.

chris3453

New elf
Being in NZ and delivery prices being high I am looking at alternatives to Chromamesh. Bunnings has 12x12 mesh that I am thinking of using. Here is an old panel with a pixel its a snug fit. I am going to pop along and test the PVC coated one sometime this week Bunnings NZ MeshIMG_0600.JPG

brando

Full time elf
Being in NZ and delivery prices being high I am looking at alternatives to Chromamesh. Bunnings has 12x12 mesh that I am thinking of using. Here is an old panel with a pixel its a snug fit. I am going to pop along and test the PVC coated one sometime this week Bunnings NZ MeshView attachment 19386
Good thought. Maybe something like aviary mesh would work also?

i13

Dedicated elf
In 2016 I mounted some nodes in mesh like this. I bought a roll of mesh, cut it into strips and painstakingly bent over every single sharp end. I'll be able to get some pictures in a couple of weeks. It was a lot of work but I'm happy with the result; it allows light to shine through from other display items that are in the background.