Just took the plunge.... second guessing some things

VaHoosier513

New elf
Made my first RGB purchase from Holiday Coro, a 16x50 mega tree kit with HinksPix Pro controller. Added on (4) 100 pixel arches. 1200 total pixels. The way they sold this to me was with a long range receiver added for the arches (they will be going next to tree). Also may be interested in expanding the tree with another 8-16 strands down the road.

My questions are:

1. I can get a F16v3 ready to run for about the same cost as the hinkspix Pro + long range receiver. Since I'm new - would I be making my life easier with the Falcon?
  2. If I were to stick with the Hinkspix Pro - am i wasting money on the long range expansion board? Should I just condense the tree strands to less ports, use the available ports for the arches, and add an additional power supply or power injection if needed?

TerryK

Retired Elf
Well, first, welcome to ACL.

I am not familiar with the HinksPix controllers but the Falcon controllers are better supported here on ACL. As to the ready to run, Falcon does have a ready to run unit and you can research it on the Falcon website. As each user's display is unique and has a tendency to grow in size and/or complexity, most individuals go a with a build your own. Falcon controllers can be expanded although as with any controller there are limitations.

You do not indicate how familiar you are with RGB lighting so I might suggest you download and read the 101 Manual. Forum threads are archived and can be searched which will I think also help answer your questions.

VaHoosier513

New elf
Well, first, welcome to ACL.

I am not familiar with the HinksPix controllers but the Falcon controllers are better supported here on ACL. As to the ready to run, Falcon does have a ready to run unit and you can research it on the Falcon website. As each user's display is unique and has a tendency to grow in size and/or complexity, most individuals go a with a build your own. Falcon controllers can be expanded although as with any controller there are limitations.

You do not indicate how familiar you are with RGB lighting so I might suggest you download and read the 101 Manual. Forum threads are archived and can be searched which will I think also help answer your questions.

Thanks Terry!

I'm leaning towards going with the Falcon controller. The general consensus seems to be that it be a little easier to set up and definitely has greater support.

I'm completely new to RGB. I've gone through the 101 manual and also watched the Keith Westley videos from this year, along with some others. I've at least gotten to the point where I'm familiar with the terminology and basic components. We'll see what happens when I actually get into the nuts and bolts!

TerryK

Retired Elf
If you have not yet purchased a controller or software, I would recommend a Falcon and xLights. The 16 x 50 tree is 800 pixels and even the smaller F4v3 will easily drive the tree. xLights is free and can be obtained at xlights.org, Falcon is in the southwestern US and depending upon stock and how busy David is I get his products within 1 to 2 weeks.
The tree will need power injection, there is a good video on YouTube and it can be found by searching for Bill Porter VCS2020. A series of videos by Canispater Christmas are also on YouTube which pertain to a number of RGB lighting topics aimed towards a hardware hands-on perspective.
Falcon is getting ready to release a new version controller so you may want to delay that purchase for a bit. Most individuals also begin small and grow their display over time. Another recommendation is to delay hardware purchases (not always easy) until one gets a better understanding of the RGB lighting devices and methods.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
I would definitely recommend a Falcon over any controller Holiday Coro sells. If you got an F16v3 you could use 8 outputs with 100 pixels each and not need any power injection if using 12v. This would require a separate power supply for each bank of the controller. Its not very difficult to buy the components and put together something yourself. This hobby is very much DIY

VaHoosier513

New elf
I would definitely recommend a Falcon over any controller Holiday Coro sells. If you got an F16v3 you could use 8 outputs with 100 pixels each and not need any power injection if using 12v. This would require a separate power supply for each bank of the controller. Its not very difficult to buy the components and put together something yourself. This hobby is very much DIY

I was looking at the ready to run F16v3. I like that idea better than trying to build myself. If I needed a second power supply, would I just keep it in a second enclosure and place it next to this box i'd be buying?

TerryK

Retired Elf
Could, or you would likely have to. Depends a bit on the placement of the enclosures and props.

Doing so is a bit more involved than just an enclosure and supply though. There would also probably be a fuse block and fuses, perhaps terminals and then depending upon location, environmentally sealing the openings in the enclosure. Ventilation too perhaps.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Could, or you would likely have to. Depends a bit on the placement of the enclosures and props.

Doing so is a bit more involved than just an enclosure and supply though. There would also probably be a fuse block and fuses, perhaps terminals and then depending upon location, environmentally sealing the openings in the enclosure. Ventilation too perhaps.
These are all factors that need to be considered that a premade or ready to go system doesn't always suit for your individual needs. Hence why this is very much a DIY hobby.