just watching VCS 2020 FPP In Detail Master / Remote / Schedule / Playlist - Rick Harris and have a quick question?

badger4543

Full time elf
so im just watching this vid as im still learning this whole thing.. on fpp i dont get any info int the network configuration box like in the vid.

what am i missing??

ive attached a screen shot of what im getting and what he displays in the vid

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 7.23.48 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 7.23.48 pm.png
    414.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 7.23.11 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 7.23.11 pm.png
    261.2 KB · Views: 16

darylc

404 darylc not found
One of your screen shots is from a Falcon pixel controller, the other one is a screenshot of a FPP installation, two completely different things.

badger4543

Full time elf
One of your screen shots is from a Falcon pixel controller, the other one is a screenshot of a FPP installation, two completely different things.

so thats him talking the the falcon controller?? not fpp?? im trying to work out how to get fpp to talk my my pixlite16

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
G'day badger, sorry I thought you had this all sorted after your channel issues on Sunday. Looking back at your screenshots from Sunday and today everything looks ok except for the missing gateway IP and I'm not sure of the DNS as the screenshot doesn't show it. Set both of them as your router's ip; the TD-W9960 which at a guess would be 192.168.1.1.
In xlights if you still have the FPP listed as a controller in the setup tab then delete it as I'm not entirely sure you should have that in the controller list. (I don't as mine is the player not a controller).
Next in xlights on the Setup tab click on "Upload to FPP" and xlights should find your FPP at 192.168.1.200 and then follow the prompts and all your xlights settings should be transferred to the FPP now.
Somebody with experience with Pixlite16 (not me) will have to confirm if the settings from xlights get transferred as well like they do with the Falcons but fingers crossed everything should be good to go?

Thinking back to the number of channels and props you have I think you need to look at connecting xlights and FPP across LAN instead of WIFi and on a different subnet, your significant others may not be happy with you come show time as all of your network traffic will be full of Christmas lights data.
But first things first get your pixlite to light up pixels from xlights before tackling other stuff. Proof of concept before major upgrades!

Check out one of the previous years mini YouTube video on networking, very helpful.
View: https://youtu.be/g0fOZs6UgXw

Cheers Bazzy

badger4543

Full time elf
G'day badger, sorry I thought you had this all sorted after your channel issues on Sunday. Looking back at your screenshots from Sunday and today everything looks ok except for the missing gateway IP and I'm not sure of the DNS as the screenshot doesn't show it. Set both of them as your router's ip; the TD-W9960 which at a guess would be 192.168.1.1.
In xlights if you still have the FPP listed as a controller in the setup tab then delete it as I'm not entirely sure you should have that in the controller list. (I don't as mine is the player not a controller).
Next in xlights on the Setup tab click on "Upload to FPP" and xlights should find your FPP at 192.168.1.200 and then follow the prompts and all your xlights settings should be transferred to the FPP now.
Somebody with experience with Pixlite16 (not me) will have to confirm if the settings from xlights get transferred as well like they do with the Falcons but fingers crossed everything should be good to go?

Thinking back to the number of channels and props you have I think you need to look at connecting xlights and FPP across LAN instead of WIFi and on a different subnet, your significant others may not be happy with you come show time as all of your network traffic will be full of Christmas lights data.
But first things first get your pixlite to light up pixels from xlights before tackling other stuff. Proof of concept before major upgrades!

Check out one of the previous years mini YouTube video on networking, very helpful.
View: https://youtu.be/g0fOZs6UgXw

Cheers Bazzy

Thanks mate, ah my channel over lap issue is back too haha, I'm pretty sure there is something really basic im just missing. But yeah I wanna try get my pixlite set up properly and working then I can tackle the next drama, do you think its worth ditching the pixlite and try getting my hands on a falcon seems so much more info is available for the falcon. I have the dns set to my home router, what should the gate way be set to? I thought they said in the vid to leave it blank.. one night when I've got some free time i might have to get into the zoo. Room and see if someone there can me through a couple of issues im running into

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
G'day Badger, you might as well stick with the pixlite, the info you need will be in someone's head on this forum and that will be cheaper than buying a Falcon. With regard to your channel overlaps are you able to create an empty animation, save it, zip it and send it to me via a pm. I should be able to have a look at it tomorrow at work.
Cheers!

TANSA

Sparky with Blinky Lights ;-)
Generous elf
Nothing wrong with PixLites I have 2 to run my show. I will post a few pics for you tomorrow. I have to power it all up and install the new switch first. Basics setup the PixLite with the PixLite web program. It is a bit of a mix of old and new xLights. Once you get your head around it is is not that bad. Setup some basics in the controller, you can use the visualiser. But it all comes down to channels per output and some channels for unused outputs. Are you using the DMX outputs?
I will see if I can post my spreadsheet so you can get an idea how I do it.

badger4543

Full time elf
Nothing wrong with PixLites I have 2 to run my show. I will post a few pics for you tomorrow. I have to power it all up and install the new switch first. Basics setup the PixLite with the PixLite web program. It is a bit of a mix of old and new xLights. Once you get your head around it is is not that bad. Setup some basics in the controller, you can use the visualiser. But it all comes down to channels per output and some channels for unused outputs. Are you using the DMX outputs?
I will see if I can post my spreadsheet so you can get an idea how I do it.
That will be handy thanks, ive setup the pixlite in the assistant app, im more stuck at getting fpp to communicate with it.

TANSA

Sparky with Blinky Lights ;-)
Generous elf
Okay here is a little PDF of how I set up my PixLite's/xLights.
Some may say I am doing it wrong but it has worked for me over the last 3 years and this will be #4.
Basically, it all comes down to channels that xLights and Keith like but you have to use Universe to get a start channel.
As PixlLite needs each port to have a channel/s even if not used.

Attachments

• SAALTFAM Setup.pdf
    444.3 KB · Views: 15

badger4543

Full time elf
Okay here is a little PDF of how I set up my PixLite's/xLights.
Some may say I am doing it wrong but it has worked for me over the last 3 years and this will be #4.
Basically, it all comes down to channels that xLights and Keith like but you have to use Universe to get a start channel.
As PixlLite needs each port to have a channel/s even if not used.

Very handy thank you