Kulp Boards

Drew78

New elf
Good afternoon all,
I am looking to start purchasing Kulp controllers as they seem to be quite comparable to the Falcon controllers. A friend of mine swears by them and won't go back to Falcon. He said that he runs 400 pixels per channel at 30% intensity without having to power inject. Does anyone know or have experience if this is doable? I would like to do the same and reduce cabling while still outputting a decent amount of pixels per channel. I also run everything at 30%. Thoughts? Questions?

CargoLights

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
A Kulp controller doesn't send any more power than pretty much any other controller; there's a 5 Amp fuse on each output. 400 12V pixels on one output is definitely pushing the limits, and you might see some flickering at full white, but it's not impossible. Some will also depend on whether you use resistor or regulated pixels. If your friend has done this successfully, and it looks good, I would buy the same pixels they have and go for it. Just be aware that you may have to rework some things if you have a lot of white in a sequence.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
400 12V resistor pixels at 30% will run on anything, as mentioned... Theoretical absolute max for a resistor pixel is 33mA, 30% of that is 10mA, 400 of those is 4A, which is less than 5. Realistically, though, the voltage will drop along the string when it is on bright, and the far ones will dim a bit. If the string comes back toward the controller, plugging the far end into a tee near the controller is easy to do and will help noticeably.