Layout help for 2022

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Hello,

So, last year was my first show and I managed to get all my lawn props up and running. This year I have more time and am planning to fill out the layout a bit more. while putting this together I just feel like there is something lacking with the layout and I am looking for ideas.

The wreath on the garage is a GE Rosa wreath, the Poles will be P5 pixel poles, the matrix panel is planned to be a P5 small panel, and there are 5 and 13 node peace stakes used to fill in for candy canes.

Dean

Attachments

• 2022Layout.JPG
    2022Layout.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 45

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Singing faces? Some people don’t like them - but they can be effective.

an outline or anything more with the garage?

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
I agree with @thewanderingpine. I would continue outline onto the garage and add a couple props to the left and right of rosa wreath. The garage seems pretty dark. Maybe relocate the spinners that are to the left and right of mega tree on the house to the left and right slightly below rosa wreath? The stars under the arches might be able to be better used elsewhere. You could move them up onto the house and/or garage,roof. Not sure specs on the mega tree and mini trees but might be more effective if it they were closer to the viewers? Wall washers are effective as well. something like this?
View: https://vimeo.com/260711704
You have a great house to work with. Watch videos of other peoples display to get ideas. You could use a few more mini trees and have plenty of room for them.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
I agree with @thewanderingpine. I would continue outline onto the garage and add a couple props to the left and right of rosa wreath. The garage seems pretty dark. Maybe relocate the spinners that are to the left and right of mega tree on the house to the left and right slightly below rosa wreath? The stars under the arches might be able to be better used elsewhere. You could move them up onto the house and/or garage,roof. Not sure specs on the mega tree and mini trees but might be more effective if it they were closer to the viewers? Wall washers are effective as well. something like this?
View: https://vimeo.com/260711704
You have a great house to work with. Watch videos of other peoples display to get ideas. You could use a few more mini trees and have plenty of room for them.

I like those wall washers but not sure where I would hide them, not much of an overhand by my garage door.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
So, after tweaking a bit here and moving a bit there. And thinking of adding some things to the garage I am wondering how this might play out now.

Added 4 more Mini-Trees w/ Stars, moved the snow flakes from the arches to walls. Added in a couple extra flakes and thought some of those fan arches might be cool on the garage. Also thought I could invert the arches so they are more like banners. I'll have to do the cost analysis and see how much of it is in the budget.

Attachments

• 2022Updated.JPG
    2022Updated.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 24

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Do you do your own sequences or use OPS? I'm adjusting my layout partly based on "holes" (like the 10 ft hole in the middle where the driveway is), but more importantly so I have something to map some of the effects on (I didn't have any house verticals or window outlines last year, and it made some sequences hard to use).

Like some said - singing faces if you like sequences with singing faces (some people don't have that style), or I tend to get dazzled by dazzlers and mesmerized by mesmerizers, don't see a lot of spinners in your layout, and depending on sequences some floods could have an effect.

One good bit of advice is "xLights is free"... so try sequencing something to your proposed layout, not just look at the static image.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Do you do your own sequences or use OPS? I'm adjusting my layout partly based on "holes" (like the 10 ft hole in the middle where the driveway is), but more importantly so I have something to map some of the effects on (I didn't have any house verticals or window outlines last year, and it made some sequences hard to use).

Like some said - singing faces if you like sequences with singing faces (some people don't have that style), or I tend to get dazzled by dazzlers and mesmerized by mesmerizers, don't see a lot of spinners in your layout, and depending on sequences some floods could have an effect.

One good bit of advice is "xLights is free"... so try sequencing something to your proposed layout, not just look at the static image.
Oh, I don't do my own sequencing. Verticals make a huge difference and while they are on my layout they never made the house and I noticed it. I am using two different sequences to test the layout and see if it is working for me or not. What I did notice was adding the 4 Mini-Trees really made that pop. I guess the golden rule is 8s

I have some singing trees but not sure if I want to use them or not. I added them just into my old layout to have but never sequenced anything. I plan to do some exports of the sequences and try to run them side by side to see what I like better.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
I went overboard on singing faces last year. Fortunately, 4 of them were quartets, so I could use them as spinners, and the tree outlines stood in for deer or whatever other motifs were in the sequences.

The 2 nash trees were just underutilized (oh and one has a purple pixel :-( ). The 2 triunes were a waste. Those are getting moved to the fence next year, to make room for something I like better.

The 4 singing pixels gotta go. Nobody knew what they were, the best guess was "asparagus".

Mr Chill... I like but it doesn't sequence well. I have to keep working on the submodels, live with it, or maybe put something else there. Probably work on the submodels during boring zoom meetings.

The grumpy tree - didn't get used much but does the Clark Griswold job so gotta keep it.

The 4 singing bulbs on the hedge... might stay because I don't have anything better for there.

Rick33

New elf
I agree with the garage, it was the first thing I thought of when looking at the first photo.
A suggestion, but could you move the mega tree to the right side beside the house? I have found any lights behind the tree take away from the effect on the tree during a song. 👍