LED recommendations?

fj

Apprentice elf
ok i think the penny just dropped !!

these are constant current boards (that's a vital bit of info i missed) which means they have a power source going through them all the time? then channel/s on your controller, controls the PIC to turn them on or off to make then flash?

i'll have to think about how to use these with my Ren64. hook the light strings directly up to a 5VDC power supply, then the Ren64 bit I need to work out.

thanks for the help, these may seem like dumb questions but your answers are pure gold to me :)

mschell

Full time elf
toodle_pipsky said:
Just spotted this - fyi just in case anyone would like to know http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=120291#post120291

Yes, I opened that thread. You guys here might be better to either deal directly with the topbright folks or Ray Wu to get them, rather than have them sent to the US and then resent to Oz.

Web site prices for the 1W are $1 in quantity, although I'm sure they'll be better when quoted. Ray's price is less, but I'm not sure about the final quality. I'm sticking with topbright, since I've bought over 7500 LEDs of varying sizes from them with excellent results.

ThaiWay

1500 C9's are not green

fj

Apprentice elf
I'm about to order the 1W'ers from Ray once he posts up my order on AliExpress. He quoted 66c each for these:

1W 350mA Straw Hat LED Cool White;120degree viewing angle;70-80lm

I'm ordering 80 whites. And 10 green, 10 red just to throw some extra colour into them, hope it looks ok.

Dave

Full time elf
If using differant coloured leds do you require different rated resisters?

fj

Apprentice elf
Dave said:

good point !!

i don't think so because they are rated the same as the whites (1W, 350mA, 5V) but i'll ask for the data sheets if they don't show up with the order just to make sure.

dmoore

Senior elf
ThaiWay said:
^Thanks for that Mark. I sent a quote request for 5050's and 1W 8mm Strawhats.

FYI, Ray Wu has quoted me a US0.64 price on these 1Watters:

Comments welcome.

John

I ordered some of the .5w 8mm strawhat LEDs and they worked great. These were for my MMFL.

chilloutdocdoc

Full time elf
fj said:
Dave said:

good point !!

i don't think so because they are rated the same as the whites (1W, 350mA, 5V) but i'll ask for the data sheets if they don't show up with the order just to make sure.
When using constant current such as in this design, LED Vf doesn't matter, it's the current that does... so 350mA is probably 350mA