Little Mega Tree Newbie

jarrodl

New elf
Hi All,

Just starting out with my first-pixel project (delayed from last year). I currently have 10 strands of 50 pixels (will arrange in a 180deg ), making a half cone about 2.6-3m high, each strand is connected to a HE123 with beaglebone FPP connected to it. AFAIK the HE123 has 16 channels. I plan to connect each of the 10 strands to individual channels, via 3 in cabling form the strand to the little green input connectors on the HE123.

The FPP and HE123 is located in the garage so weatherproof. Plan was to just run 2-3m cabling from the garage box (under the garage door) to each strand.

Couple of questions:

1. Does this make sense and able to be done ? I'm not sure on how xlights then connects and knows about the 10 strands ...
2. Will this be enough power ? ( I have 1 x meanwell powersupply connected via the HE123)

Any Advice would be great.

TIA Jarrod.

JacksonHo

New elf
Hi, should probably be enough power if you don't go full brightness. Another solution is to get the pixel breakout extension boards and run one Cat 5 cable and one power cable instead of 10 strands. Xlights will know as you setup each port in FPP

jarrodl

New elf
Hi, should probably be enough power if you don't go full brightness. Another solution is to get the pixel breakout extension boards and run one Cat 5 cable and one power cable instead of 10 strands. Xlights will know as you setup each port in FPP

Ah, ok, so then the breakout board sits at the tree connecting to the strands, and just a single ethernet and power out to that board from the garage ?

JacksonHo

New elf
Yeah, depending how you want to set it up. My mega tree which goes up tomorrow is 24 strands but it is 3 x EX2 connected to a RJ16 and then 2 stands per port, one up and down. So I am running 3 x RJ45 cables out to it from the main controller box but I also have a separate power supply in that box for the mega tree so I don't run that power to it from the controller.
You could set it up in a few combinations however you see fit, I basically picked that setup as it was only a couple of extra dollars to get a few EX2s and it means if I have a pixel failure it will only effect 2 stands on the tree.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Both approaches work fine. The use of the EX just allows you to bring the power supply closer to the tree.
That being said, 50 pixels on a single line from the controller shouldn't tax the power too hard over that short distance. I run 48 pixels on a candy can over 11m from the controller, with 5V, and no issues there. I wouldnt want to run more pixels on that line, however.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Based on the Hanson Electronics site it looks as though you can run up to 800 pixels per output.
So given that, you could technically run just 1 data cable and then just add power to the strings.
This is basically how I do all of my props. I run data only then inject power separately, it helps just in case I run different voltage props, so i never inadvertently plug 12v into 5v pixels. (did once, never since)

jarrodl

New elf
Based on the Hanson Electronics site it looks as though you can run up to 800 pixels per output.
So given that, you could technically run just 1 data cable and then just add power to the strings.
This is basically how I do all of my props. I run data only then inject power separately, it helps just in case I run different voltage props, so i never inadvertently plug 12v into 5v pixels. (did once, never since)
Interesting, so in that case just need to connect all the 50 pixel strings together daisy chain style for data, and add power say every 3rd string ?

JacksonHo

New elf
Interesting, so in that case just need to connect all the 50 pixel strings together daisy chain style for data, and add power say every 3rd string ?
Might need less injections if 12v and not 100% brightness, I get about 250 pixels before I need to power inject on some props.