LOR CMB24D DC boards and LOR Pixel string

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
I have been reading as much as I can, however I am just damn right confused.

He is my situation.

I have a working LOR network with 3 LOR DC 24 Channel boards and 1 LOR RGB Pixel string (total of 372 channels) running LOR software.

Now I have just bought a couple of the ECG-P2 boards and lot of lights from Ray WU.

Now I would like to use another software package in place of LOR for example Vixen 3. My question is:
1. How can I get the LOR boards and LOR String to work with Vixen.
2. Do I need a USB DMX dongle with just one universe as it is only 372 channels?
3. If so which dongle will work?
4. I have a fast computer so I just need something that will work.
5. How will I set it up?

Thanks in advance.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
1. The lor boards can be run in dmx. I'm not sure if vixen or any other sequencer other than lor will pump out true lor data. The lor pixels can be ran from a P2. They are possibly 6803 pixels but don't quote me on that.
2. You'll need a usb dongle of some sort. If you have a lor dongle then that can be used as an open dmx dongle to talk directly to the lor boards. I think that in dmx mode they each take up an effective 32 channels but again don't quote me on that.
3. All dongles will do 512 channels which is 1 universe.
4. Run da_dmx to get lights flashing first then worry about a sequencer. If you are controlling the P2 to drive the pixels then da_e131 is about the easiest to drive it for testing. To setup the P2 you're best to pop into chat and get someone to talk you through it as there is no comprehensive manual and the info on the site and wiki is limited.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Ok the ECG-D2 is looking like it will work as it does away with USB and I can just use the Ethernet switch I have built into my controller box.

So do I have this right in saying:

1. PC to ECG-D2 (standard Cat5 Ethernet)
2. ECG to LOR board (will this require a DMX/LOR crossover?)
3. LOR board to LOR board/LOR pixel string controller (will this still need a DMX/LOR cross over or standard Cat 5 pinout?)

Thanks for you help so far.

I just bought some extenders from J1sys, sucks as I will need to pay another $25 shipping.
Does anyone have the ECG-D2 in Aus for sale.

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
So do I have this right in saying:

1. PC to ECG-D2 (standard Cat5 Ethernet)
2. ECG to LOR board (will this require a DMX/LOR crossover?)
3. LOR board to LOR board/LOR pixel string controller (will this still need a DMX/LOR cross over or standard Cat 5 pinout?)

Thanks for you help so far.

I just bought some extenders from J1sys, sucks as I will need to pay another $25 shipping.
Does anyone have the ECG-D2 in Aus for sale.

For #1 I recommend you get a small Ethernet switch...so it would be PC<>switch<>D2 The switch can also have other E1.31 devices on it

For #2 you need a LOR x-crossover ....various places sell them or you can make your own

For #3 For LOR board to LOR board no crossover needed...

I use the same setup you are thinking of using, only I use a D4 not a D2....If you need help I can walk you through it...just jump onto Chat.... Also more info on DMX to LOR x-crossover can be found on the forums.

-Blu

Jago

New elf
Yes Ethernet into the ECG-D2.

It has 2 DMX outputs that have a pin out:
1: Data+
2: Data-
7: Ground

You LOR boards will use the following pin out:
4: Data +
5: Data-
6: Ground

That means you need to make 1 adapter cable to come from the bridge to the first LOR controller then after that it just business as normal with straight through cables.

[attachimg=1]

*forgive my crude paint images.

Side Note:
The LOR boards use Pins: 3,4,5,6 as they are designed to be able to be used with 2 pair cables and rj11 plugs. Pin 3 is v+

edit. Just noticed I showed 2 images of 568A and not the 568B wiring. Pins are same just wire colours change.

Attachments

• Adapter.jpg
    Adapter.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 71

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
I have a 5 port netgear switch already in my controller case.

You guys rock, I know what I need to do.

Now I just need to get hold of a d2 board.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think the p2 could run Dmx controllers. You needed a D4 or a p12s which has DMX outputs and you still require the cross over cable.
Doesn't the p2 just output e1.31 which is DMX over IP

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The board actually receives E1.31 and transmits SPI.
The Advatek pixel controller is another option that does SPI as well is DMX outputs.

Christmas @ the Myrtle (Damicka10) said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think the p2 could run Dmx controllers. You needed a D4 or a p12s which has DMX outputs and you still require the cross over cable.
Doesn't the p2 just output e1.31 which is DMX over IP