LSP V2 to be released next week

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Guys,

Just a heads up on the release of LightShow Pro V2.

The word from DJ from LSP is that LSP V2 will be released some time next week.

I have no details on costs or upgrade costs but whatever it will be it will be well worth it. LSP V2 has come a very long way from LSP V1.8 and im sure users will be very happy with it.

So the wait is nearly over.

Nath_From_NT

Apprentice elf
I wish I'd had a look here 10 minutes ago. I just purchased LSP V1.8! It does say free upgrades for 12 months so I'm assuming that includes the upgrade to V2.0...... Hopefully.

Looks daunting though, but very nice on my 27inch Mac screen! ;)

daunce

Full time elf
Nath_From_NT said:
I wish I'd had a look here 10 minutes ago. I just purchased LSP V1.8! It does say free upgrades for 12 months so I'm assuming that includes the upgrade to V2.0...... Hopefully.

From last year, I think most people would have purchased LSP1.x around mid-year, so we wont be able to get that free upgrade :(

kool-lites

Full time elf
12months and 2 weeks ago I forked out $105AU for the software. Before a send a another cent, I will want some guarantee it actual works. not just ppl saying is has come a long way and it is better.

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
Yep we want it but not if it does not live up to the Hype...so who's going to be first?? 8)

TimW

Full time elf
kool-lites said:
12months and 2 weeks ago I forked out $105AU for the software. Before a send a another cent, I will want some guarantee it actual works. not just ppl saying is has come a long way and it is better.

100% agree Matt. I got taken in by the hype of this software last year as well (much of it coming from around here actually :) ...) . Trying really hard not to get fooled twice. (that would be shame on me... right?)

I don't see much evidence that the LSP folk really understand or acknowledge how bad the LSP experience was last year for many people. (Have a look at some of the threads on this site in early December last year... if you have forgotten. ) I only hope the upgrade fee takes into account the pain of the journey we went through in 2010. That would be fair I think.

I really hope 2.0 is much, much better and delivers the reliability I thought I was getting with 1.8. Time will tell...

Tim

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
OK then Tim we don't have a lot of time so get one and let us know what you think....be our own personal consultant!

mrpackethead

Full time elf
Nath_From_NT said:

Looks daunting though, but very nice on my 27inch Mac screen! ;)

Nath, you've done the right thing. You'll be happy.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
TimW said:
kool-lites said:

100% agree Matt. I got taken in by the hype of this software last year as well (much of it coming from around here actually :) ...) . Trying really hard not to get fooled twice. (that would be shame on me... right?)

I don't see much evidence that the LSP folk really understand or acknowledge how bad the LSP experience was last year for many people. (Have a look at some of the threads on this site in early December last year... if you have forgotten. ) I only hope the upgrade fee takes into account the pain of the journey we went through in 2010. That would be fair I think.

I really hope 2.0 is much, much better and delivers the reliability I thought I was getting with 1.8. Time will tell...

Tim

Last year LSP was a disappointment to many users mainly because they took the same approach to sequencing as they had with LOR and vixen. This is where LSP was lacking and a major disappointment. But using transitions and layers was were LSP 1.8 strengths were. This is no excuse for the basics that were lacking in 1.8 but personally i couldn't have done what i did with RGB without LSP in 2010.

Lessons were learnt and David has listened to the pain of many users and this year David has taken a different approach and limited new features and instead focused on the current feature set and improved on that in stability, performance, usability and adding to the current feature set. There is now a good copy/paste feature with new options and also redo has been added with improved performance of the undo/redo feature. Optimizing and file size has been dramatically improved in both performance, time and size. LSP now takes advantage of multicore processors so this has also dramatically improved performance in many areas

This year there is a much larger beta team and the beta period has been much longer than last year which has helped iron out many issues. LSP is now strong with the basics while still providing the advanced features like transitions, layers and matrix tools

There are also some new features added with the addition of what could be considered similar to tracks in LOR S2, There is also a mega tree tool and transitions can now be blended with other transitions to create many different effects. Plus there are many other tweaks, features and improvements that have occurred over the past few months whilst LSP has been in beta

In the end its not what i will say that will convince users that LSP V2 has improved dramatically but it will be the users that felt they were stung last year with 1.8 that will decide if LSP has truly evolved to be a usable and productive software package for them. I believe it has, and i hope it will deliver what many users want. Time will tell.

mrpackethead

Full time elf
I tend to agree with eddy, 2.0 is a big step up..

Don't expect it to be really easy though, theres still lots to learn.

TimW

Full time elf
Fasteddy said:
Last year LSP was a disappointment to many users mainly because they took the same approach to sequencing as they had with LOR and vixen.

So, once again, it seems that the problem with LSP last year was that users couldn't change? Somehow it was their thinking? That the best explanation we could come up with? That's the LSP line I get most frustrated with!

I had no problem with the learning curve Eddy. The concept is great - I bought it. I just had some minor practical problems with things like:
  • intermittent output
  • on again off again channel test tool... could never tell if it was the tool or the controller at fault.
  • inconsistent (random) and time consuming optimisation
  • problematic E1.31 interface
  • and enormous use of system resources.
Oh - and who got the scheduler to work reliably?

How accurate was the on screen timings vs the output timings?

All this on a commercial product. Yes - I think it let me (and many others) down last year.

I went back to Vixen last year for my meagre 2000 channels because it worked.... not because I wanted to or I couldn't 'make the change'!

Of course we should all be excited about V2.0 I can't wait.... I'm sure I'll try it out. I hope to grow to love it.

But any piece of software is only as good as its last release..... There's a bit of catch up required on its reputation. We should put some balance into talking it up before we can see it...

I know it worked for you. Thats great. Lets see if 2.0 works for everyone else. And this year... you can't blame the users....

Tim

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I asgree with tim, plus would like to add stupidly simple errors which should have been caught by any decent Beta tester like:
  • Undo Redo bug(s)
  • Vixen import simply did not work properly at all
  • Reduce output brightness did that... on the wrong channel!
  • While working with transitions might be ok, I want control of the output and that was horrid in the grid
  • Random crashes, even in setting up a simple 1000 channel setup
I know a lot of time has been spent trying to get this right, so I hope it really is worth while for those who have to buy it or the upgrade soon.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
TimW said:
Fasteddy said:
Last year LSP was a disappointment to many users mainly because they took the same approach to sequencing as they had with LOR and vixen.

So, once again, it seems that the problem with LSP last year was that users couldn't change? Somehow it was their thinking? That the best explanation we could come up with? That's the LSP line I get most frustrated with!

I had no problem with the learning curve Eddy. The concept is great - I bought it. I just had some minor practical problems with things like:
  • intermittent output
  • on again off again channel test tool... could never tell if it was the tool or the controller at fault.
  • inconsistent (random) and time consuming optimisation
  • problematic E1.31 interface
  • and enormous use of system resources.
Oh - and who got the scheduler to work reliably?

How accurate was the on screen timings vs the output timings?

All this on a commercial product. Yes - I think it let me (and many others) down last year.

I went back to Vixen last year for my meagre 2000 channels because it worked.... not because I wanted to or I couldn't 'make the change'!

Of course we should all be excited about V2.0 I can't wait.... I'm sure I'll try it out. I hope to grow to love it.

But any piece of software is only as good as its last release..... There's a bit of catch up required on its reputation. We should put some balance into talking it up before we can see it...

I know it worked for you. That's great. Lets see if 2.0 works for everyone else. And this year... you can't blame the users....

Tim

Tim, I'm not blaming the user at all and that is represented in my previous comments as I've said that was no excuse and I agree that it let down many users. You have every right to feel let down by LSP V1.8
But what made LSP so good for me last year was not the basic features that were troublesome but the advanced features that worked. The attitude back then was this was the new way to sequence without using the grid. Opinions have changed since then and the grid sequencing is still a very important part and needs to be rock solid or the software is destined to fail for many users. But if you wanted LSP 1.8 to work for you then you needed to take a different approach or else it would cause great frustration. I believe running 2200 channels was close to 1.8 limits but V2 has been tested with 33000 RGB channels and shown to be stable.

Last year the new pixel based hardware really left the software behind and this year looks to be an exciting time with the release of LOR S3, Vixen 3 and LSP v2 and hopefully the software has caught up with the hardware technology.

I believe there has been a major attitude shift in the development of LSP v2 and the issues you have listed appear to have been rectified plus many many more.

Last year i found LSP v1.8 to be frustrating in many respects but using v2 I'm actually enjoying using it, so yes i may be talking it up but that's because i have been using it for some time and have seen the improvements.

Again only time will tell if v2 will suit you and others that were let down by 1.8
All you can do is download the demo when it is released and make your own assessment, at least you know how to use it so you should be able to quickly find out if it will be suitable for your needs.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to use.

As far as Lithgowlights comments about a decent beta tester, im sure you were not aware of what was discussed in the beta forum so that is an unfair comment. Many of the underlining issues were so big that only a rewrite could have fixed them, which has happened due to many of the beta testers reports and comments, including allowing more people to beta test.