Mega tree coming together

scamper

Dedicated elf
Just remembered...
I mentioned earlier that I had a weird fault with my star!
I found what it was... :D
When I attached all of the strips to the star, some of the paint was scratched off the frame and shorted out the pads at the rear of the strips. This then powered other strips inadvertently or power 2 colours at once.
So... take all of the strips off, wrap the frame in insulation tape, and re-attach them. :p
Job done, catastrophe averted :D

scamper

Dedicated elf
I thought I would update this original post as it is all the same tree.
I have made a number of changes in the last 2 years. Last year it was a move of the tree and a new base.
The original base was far to big, which made it look too fat at the bottom, but also made it a little flimsy and would have required a lot more bracing, let alone the storage issues.
So i made a new base and painted it properly so I shouldn't have issues with rust for a while.
The move was to get it off the lawn. I was told about the issues but didn't realise just how much of a pain it would be to mow around it.
This year I decided to go for pixels. I used my 2d tree pixels from last year and realigned them, then added some more to the end to get a tighter grouping. then built some more to get my full count.
I purchased a heap of waterproof plugs and sockets for power injection and every string has it's own power. (I will be swapping out all plugs on all items to make power injection plugs the same)
At this stage I will just be sticking with 16 strings as I know I won't have time to do any more with all the other project I have on the go, but I will keep my options open for next year.

Attachments

• base.jpg
    base.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 28
  • power injection.jpg
    power injection.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 31
  • pixel test.jpg
    pixel test.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 37